Mini-Art 1/48 Republic P-47D-25RE Thunderbolt - FINISHED!

Started by Tom Cleaver · 30 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Painted and ready for decals tomorrow.

The yellow cowling with have the black diamonds over it as decal for the 353rd group marking.

The model is painted with Tamiya RAF colors Ocean Grey and RAF Dark Green, over Vallejo Aluminum lower surface, with D-Day ID stripes done with Tamiya Flat Black and Flat White.

8th AF alerted fighter groups in May that they might be moved to the Continent following the invasion, and they should camouflage their NMF airplanes. All the groups used RAF paints! I have interviewed the maintenance officers of the 334th squadron of the 4th Fighter Group, the 84th squadron of the 78th fighter group and the 61st squadron of the 56th Fighter Group. They all said all groups used RAF paints because they were easily available and US paint was not.

You can now see the surface detail better with the paint on. I really like this kit. It's definitely not the only one that's going to show up in the collection.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Beautiful paintwork, Tom @tcinla
    The paint did indeed enhance the surface details nicely.
    Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo

Getting into the final lap. Here it is with the decals done. "Butch II" was flown by Lt. Colonel Bill Bailey, an original member of the 353rd who was CO of the group's 352nd squadron, known as "Bill's Buzz Boys." In mid-July 1944, he moved up to Group Flying Exec, a position he held until the group returned to the US in October 1945 to be disbanded.

The decals came from Aeromaster 48-163: Best Sellers Thunderbolts. The underwing decals are from the Fundekals US National Insignia WWII - Late sheet.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great markings and awesome looks, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks very good, Tom @tcinla
    Did you take any special approach to make the checkerboard pattern follow the roundings nicely.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Fortunately, the decals had been resized from the original (for the Monogram kit) to fit the Tamiya kit (they were done in 2004). but it took two different sets of diamond decals to get it to look as right as it does. A lot of careful "piecing together" of decal sheets. Hopefully this great kit will inspire some new aftermarket decals.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great work piecing the decals together, Tom (@tcinla). I avoid squares and checkerboard so that I don't have to deal with decals that don't quite fit.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Finished! Here are two shots - full review tomorrow at Modeling Madness.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent work, Tom @tcinla
    Definitely going to read the article on MM.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Wow! What a superb result, my friend @tcinla! Now you got us waiting eagerly waiting to read the article!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Unfortunately, Scott VanAken ate a bad something and is suffering the tortures of food poisoning today. Hopefully he will be back from Those Who Wish They Were Dead tomorrow or so, at which time the article will be published.

• Profile Photo
    Clint Miller said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Great article as usual Mr. Cleaver! ( I got it rite this time 😉). You did a fantastic job on this beautiful kit. Like everyone else, I read the reviews that mentioned the gun alignment being wrong. I thought they were the ones who were wrong. Why would Mini-Art do all that research and make such a beautiful kit and over look a detail like that? I know others have, but surly not on a kit of this caliber. I was glad to here it wasn't so.

It looked like I'll have to be picking up one of these, maybe two.

Thanks for a great truthful review and an awesome build log. Outstanding job!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Awesome Jug. As usual a very informative build. You worked some magic on those decals.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Another great build, Tom (@tcinla), especially with the distinctive and difficult checkers applied. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    David D. said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Superb result Tom. Well done.