MiniArt 1/48 Republic P-47D-30RE

Started by Tom Cleaver · 23 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 months ago:

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Wowza ! I just noticed your build journal a few days ago and now you already have it wrapped up. You didn't let the grass grow under your feet on this one did you ? 😉

It looks very good. I'm also going to look into trying out the Mr. Paint "Super Metallic" colors. They do indeed look very nice on your Thunderbolt.

I have been taking a lot of pictures of a P-47 that recently arrived in the shop. It was wearing the same markings as yours. The Collings Foundation now owns it, and it's scheduled for a full on flight / airworthy restoration. The coolest thing about this, is the plane is mostly original, having only had a "facelift" or two during it's lifetime. It is mostly original otherwise, and has never been completely apart.

But this has now changed, and they have discovered a literal gold mine of information about the P-47's that was not known about before. They even found a "Rosie" signature !

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in the headlines, and thanks for talking me into getting one of these kits. It looked so good in the box, I couldn't resist doing a full on review and posting it here for everyone.

Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Looking awesome, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

That definitely shows quality, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months ago:

@kahu - Use these Super Metallics. You don't have to worry.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Nice job, Tom (@tcinla). NMF came out great. I still think NMF is evil, but I am getting a little more comfortable with it. I also need to try the Super Metallic.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

@lgardner - The only one I know in those markings is the P-47D-40 at the Air Force Museum. How did they get that one?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

You’re right about where it came from. They traded their Tuskegee Stearman to the Air Force Museum for it from what I’ve read online.

I also thought it was a D-40 also but the data plate says it’s a P-47D-30

You can’t believe the cool stuff that I have seen in this one. Incredible that it has managed to survive in such a pristine unrestored condition for as long as it has.

Other than the facelifts I mentioned earlier it was never taken apart or completely apart before now. They are documenting it thoroughly and taking tons of photographs as well.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

That's very cool. I thought when they lost their passenger flying license we wouldn't be hearing much from them. I'm glad to find that's not true.