Mitsubishi A6M Zero in Swedish service

Started by Stellan Schroeder Englund · 69 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Could-have-been, Mitsubishi, Sweden, Tamiya, what-if, Zero
  • Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 7 months ago:

As I had the speed up and airbrush running I decided to give the propeller a coat of Vallejo metal color Chrome and the spinner a coat of Vallejo Model color Medium blue. The little things like undercarriage and other details have also been primed and given a few splashes of colour. It is interesting how quick it all goes once the basic construction bit is over.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Is'nt it just impressive how time flies - but at least it will give the previous work time to set before handling the kite again - the paint so far looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I blink and next thing I know here is a magnificent Swedish A6M Zeke. Didn't realize how far along this has progressed Stellan. I love the concept and the fact that the Japanese approached the Swedes with a possibility of Sweden purchasing some Zeros. Those same officials from Japan probably coming from Germany sharing information on the Val/Stuka, Hein/BF-109, Me-262/Kikka, As some Luftwaffe aircraft eventually made their way to Japan for evaluation. Who knows if any Zero's were sent to Germany for evaluation and for others to evaluate as well such as the Swedes and Italians for instance. That ship may have been lost enroute to Europe as it was quite a treacherous journey with submarines about. Love the idea.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Erik and Chuck, thanks a lot for your words.

Yes, Chuck there is probably a bit more to find out regarding some of the trade agreements. I have a great deal to tell about the aircraft that might have found its way to Sweden during late 1930s and up to 1945. Some things almost happened, others could have happened if the political game had been different. I´ll get to that in due time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi @stellan!
    Painting looks great and your preshading efforts paid off.
    I love this prop!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Pre-shading looks great, and the paint scheme is really coming together, Stellan (@stellan). Swedish markings will really look great.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros and George, really appreciate it. Yes, the prop got nice and shiny. Think it will be black on the back side also. Tamiya´s paints are so incredibly matte so I wonder if I ever will be able to give it a gloss coat, will probably take many coats before I can put the decals on it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Fully agree on the above mentioned pre-shading results.
    It looks great.
    Seems like these Vallejo metal colors do their job really well.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, John. Yes, Vallejo´s metal colours are great and easy to use. I like to mix them with a few drops of light grey or white to cut the straight metal look and give them a bit of a weathered or oxidized look.