Model plane build up & downs…and ups!

Started by Ralph Clements · 13 · 8 years ago · lost parts Sptfire
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Well I was well on my way to one of my better efforts yet - a Sptifire Mk. XIV recon in a natural metal finish...(since read on another modelling website for experts, by experts that NFM is historically innaccurate for Spitfires...some were painted silver...but that did not bother me, NFM is 'historically accurate' for this one, because I made it one in NFM!) but I digress, my NFM was looking good, I went to considerable effort and care with that...when middle of last week..OH NO! the propeller spinner - already painted and buffed - was suckedd into the wormhole of never to be seen again, how could it dissappear? -it was RIGHT HERE! things don't walk away..no no no, of all the parts to transmogrify to another parallel universe! AW Geeeeezz...

Well a frantic search everywhere ensued, my wife even helped as she said I probably am over looking it ...everywhere it could be, many places it shouldn't be, lots of places it couldn't be but looked there too...after several days of looking and looking again and hoping it will return...that son-of-gun is GONE...

OK Plan B time--considered many options - check the spare parts box, different materials to fabricate one. Wife says she has something in her craft supplies I should look at - I am trying that. I t is a product called "Instamorph" It is plastic beads, real tiny, smaller than BB's, you put them in water at 140 deg. F for a couple of minutes, they bond and soften and then you can work them into a shape before it hardens at room temp. So that whitish, roughly cone shaped blob you see by the pen is my "potters clay" I am going to try to shape a new spinner out of. She had that stuff for some time to fix something with but never used it, so neither of us knew wat to expect (it has lots of uses, see instamorph.com for lots of example) So when it had cooled and harden I showed it to her and said I would have to whittle and sand on it.

Well...she said "wait a minute before you start.." and came back with a Dremel tool that was stashed somewhere in her closet of doom that brave men fear to enter - Its brand new in the box! Said here I got this on sale for 1/2 price and was going to give it to you for Christmas but you need it now..." OH Man how cool is that!

We've been married for 33 years - Even if I can't salvage this Spitfire, the story has a happy ending, long as I don't grind my thumb off or something!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I'm enjoying reading this, Ralph, can't wait for the next instalment, maybe you'll find the lost spinner in the meantime...

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Forgive my dumb question, but why can't you get a replacement part from the manufacturer?

• Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Craig, there is no such thing as a dumb question. I may end up doing that but didn't want to wait around any longer. My momemtum on getting this done was stalled out. I wanted to try something. I never tried that before, can you order one little part? Seems like it would almost be cheaper to buy another kit. I never tried this plastic bead stuff before either. I got into working with it after I posted this. We'll see what happens. But I got a Dremel tool out of the deal, now I have to figure it out...

Also I figured the greater effort I put into getting a replacement done the greater the chance of the real one re-transmogrifying back to my part of the Universe.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 9 months ago:

The old Sarge used to say that the DUMB question was the one that didn't get asked! I took that to heart, whilst in the front leaning rest position, praying my arms would hold...
    Lessons from Basic Training, one in a continuing series.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Ralph ,I only had time to read this quickly with my coffee before work,what scale and how many prop blades is the spinner you need as I am pretty sure I may have one in the spares box as long as its 1/48,I can easily pop one in the post.I wouldn't even bother with the Dremmel thingy it's not going to look right unless your a modelling god-are you a modelling god ?
    N.

• Profile Photo

Ralph,I had a look and I have a four blade prop ,spinner and and the backing piece in 1/48 which I won't be using,if you want them there yours gratis just send me your address in a private message and I'll send them on.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Hi all, here is a little update on the Istamorph product. It does indeed cool and solidify into a hard chuck of plastic. I made the rough cone shape larger by far than I knew it needed to be so I could remove excess and shape it.The material has a sort of waxy feel, kind of like a milk jug, but I do not think it is the same kind of plastic. Cutting it with an X-acto is very hard but it can be done a little at a time. I screwed it onto the end of the Dremel tool and spin it on an emery board to shape it. That works but you have to go slow because it heats and softens, so instead of dust coming off it like a piece if wood makes, it s more like sanding a piece of old hardened chewing gum that is stuck to something, it kind of comes off in gooey sheets. But going slow, progress can be made. I did some checking into ordering a replacement part and found out the kit I have, an Academy 1/48 'special edition' is no longer offered by MRC, its US distributor. I bought the kit last year at local hobby store, the last one they had, I wanted to get it while it was available as they were not ordering any more model airplane kits. According to them people only want to build model cars.

• Profile Photo

I thought I'd share this image of my home made spinner - although a very nice and generous fellow poster has offered me a replacement for the one I lost (or the one that ran away by itself) I have continued messing with this InstaMorh product and am generally pleased. It is not done and may never be - as I get closer to done with it, it gets difficult to fit to the hub, although I am a bit surprised I got it this far.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hey Ralph, the prop and spinner is on it's way to you, I posted it Wednesday so I suppose it may be stateside somewhere by now...
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 9 months ago:

This is reading like an episode from Modern Family.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Carle said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Transmogroph! Calvin and Hobbs live on!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Ralph, that "home made" spinner looks good to me. And a lot better than I could have done, though I will note the name of the product for future reference. One never knows...