Modelsvit 1/48 P-51H Mustang

Started by Tom Cleaver · 14 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

This is the second release of the great Modelsvit P-51H. This time markings are for immediate post-war USAAF units, including the 56th Fighter Group finally forced into Mustangs and sent to Alaska.

Being essentially obtuse and not wanting "one of the crowd," when I found photos of a P-51H restored as the airplane flown by 359th FG Ace Claude James Crenshaw in the 14th FG in the fall of 1947 just after the USAAF became the USAF - and since I had decals for the nose art from the Eduard Chattanooga Choo-Choo P-51D release, I took the time to get some number sheets so I can piece this together.

I had painted all the interior detail and then the kit sat for several months. Being in the mood for Mustangs again after doing the Mustang I, I pulled it out and assembled it this past week, and painted it over the weekend.

When I realized the canopies were thick but very clear, I Futured the closed option and it was very clear with no distortion, so I decided to go this route to show the clean lines of the P-51H.

If you're a Mustang fan(atic), you need this kit - either the first release with ANG markings or this Air Force release. The kit decals are great; I just wanted to do something different.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great inspiration, Tom. I need to finally build mine.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

Another great entry, built at lightning speed and looking awesome so far, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

Very nice entry, Tom @tcinla
    And some great progress as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Coming along very well, Tom (@tcinla). I am glad to hear this is a good kit. I have had one sitting on the shelf, but have ever gotten around to it.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Quick build Tom. Looks good. I've toyed with the idea of buying this kit, but so far have resisted because I need to not increase my stash for awhile.
    I have five other Mustang kits waiting to be built and one old Hobbycraft F-82, that I got as a present from my son, that I have to build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Sneak in a Modelsvit F-82 and secretly stick it in the Hobbycraft box and then build it - it will look great, won't drive you nuts getting to the finish line, and your son will love it.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Different scale and he would know the difference, but good thought! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Oh, you have their repop of the Monogram 1/72 kit. I thought you were referring to the horrid 1/48 kit.

• Profile Photo

Here it is completed. A lesson learned - I had to cut the letters for "Heatwave" separately to rearrange them, and managed to end up with "not quite right." Memo to Self: when finishing a model according to photos, CHECK THE !@#$%#@! PHOTOS! It looks "OK enough" but it could have been perfect otherwise. Of course I only noticed that when the decal solvent was in the midst of taking effect.

I do like the NMF I did - All Vallejo metallics. Dull Aluminum for the lacquer-painted wings, Semi-Matte Aluminum for the fuel tank area on the lower wing, a mixture of Aluminum and Duraluminum for the areas on the fuselage around the radiator and the exhausts, Aluminum for the rest.

Live and learn.

Full article at Modeling Madness Thursday.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

If you don't know about the letters, she looks perfect, Tom @tcinla
    You are right about the NMF, it looks really great.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome job nevertheless, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Figured I'd bust myself before some other know-it-all does. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

The P-51H really does look different than the standard "D" version, Tom (@tcinla). Nice job on this kit.