Modelsvit P-51H

Started by Andrew H · 27 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 5 months ago:

In my quest to have a full collection of quarter-scale Mustangs (can one ever have too many?) I had to pick up Modelsvit new offering as soon as it launched. I received the kit earlier this week, and with only three other WIPs on the workbench, I decided to go ahead and make a quick build of this.

I'll comment on fit and finish only briefly, but I'll primarily use pics to explain the build.

More to come.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/modelsvit-4817-north-american-p-51h-mustang--1245990

• Profile Photo

The kit itself has been commented on by Mr Cleaver just this week, and his analysis is well stated from my gathering thus far.

The kit includes a nice decal sheet for three ANG planes, as well as for the single plane that was sent to be evaluated by the RAF. The kit also includes masks for some of the more intricate painted ANG patterns. Additionally, masks are offered for the wheels, and for the inside and outside of the canopy.

A fret of photo etch is available for extra details. This is not colored but included some nice extra details. I occasionally questioned the need for PE given some of the surface detail present on the molded plastic. Regardless they provide essential details that help make for a more appealing kit. Also included are lenses for the gunsight.

The instructions are provided in a glossy heavy weight color booklet, similar to Eduards typical offering. The instructions leave little to the imagination. Part locations and color callouts are there, and only occasionally confusing only due to the density of instructions being shown on some steps.

In general, the plastic is finely molded, and fit and finish is actually quite good. There is flash here and there that will adversely affect fit and finish of parts, but if you are able to make sense of what is excess and what is substantial to the kit, you are rewarded with general good fit, evident of good kit engineering.

Constuction:
    Surprise surprise, building begins with the cockpit. The cockpit is well detailed, and includes photo-etch levers, panel and decals for placards, etc. The IP has an option for simple decals on a painted panel, or decals and PE details over/under. I opted for the later. The kit includes a miniature flare gun, how cool! Also hard to see, but the NAA logos are present on the rudder pedals. Again, great details!

Currently, panels are awaiting decals, and a few misc details.

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 5 months ago:

When you fit the seat and the back armor, note that it's about 1/16" too low if you fit it as the kit wants you too. Raise it up that 1/16 inch and all is well. Your cockpit's looking good so far.

• Profile Photo

Rear seat is already glued to the armor. I believe I mis-read your statement the first time. Are you saying the seat is too low on the armor or the the seat/armor sit in the cockpit too low?

Not to split hairs but what is your reference for this height?

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looks very nice indeed

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 5 months ago:

My reference for the height is photos. If you can pop it off (which is what I had to do) and raise it up you'll be happy. It's the seat and the back armor/headrest.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Here’s a few pictures that I took of the real thing.

This is a Mustang seat and it should look very familiar to our friend Jim Harley. He has spent a lot of time sitting here when he flew the Collings Foundation P-51, where this seat came from.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the armor plate behind the seat. Most of your restorations don't as a rule. In fact, on some planes after the War, these items were removed.

Hope this helps you.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Being a 109'aholic, I'm addicted to small red handles, and seeing one in your cockpit just might be reason enough to get a '51 started 🙂
    Anyway, I'm tuned in on this build, and like what I see so far - GR8 work!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

This looks like a really nice kit. It has several great paint schemes included, but I am sure there will be some aftermarket for this kit. I know that Caracal Models has a 1/48th sheet for the P-51H coming. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Cockpit finished today.

Per the instructions I built the tub up as one assembly, and this caused no concerning trouble. I'm astounded by how it almost snaps into the fuselage half.

The kit provides PE seatbelts, however for interest of painting time saved, I used some Eduard prepainted belts.

There are numerous decals in the cockpit, and I must say it was a joy to lay them down. They were sturdy yet thin and very conforming with only micro-set.

Prismacolor silver used for worn areas.

Also I did remove the seat and clean it up, yet when I reattached it ever so slightly higher, I must've applied to much force such that it set back into it original spot! I didn't notice until it had set up again. Rather than triffle over it some more, I decided it'll stay how the kit intended, right or wrong... Thanks for the tip though.

Landing gear bays are assembled and painted, so fuselage should be going together soon!

In the meantime, enjoy the pics!

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Cockpit looks great. I'm taking notes for my build.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Andrew @pb_legend, unless you are adding a figure to the model, I would not worry one bit about the seat height. They should have been adjustable anyway, seems kind of trivial IMHO. Great progress on this kit, really liking it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 4 months ago:

That cockpit's really nice - it's interesting how very different yet somehow similar the H cockpit is to the D cockpit. I think we have just demonstrated that a limited-run kit can vary a lot, because the reason I didn't do mine the way you did yours was test-fitting showed mine wasn't going to do what yours did - close, but not the same. I'll bet if we compared the finished models, you couldn't tell which was done what way, since mine in the end looks just like yours.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks George and James, it really is turning out to be a nice kit, with few caveats.

Tom, interesting indeed how there are similarities amid stark contrasts. Just like building the rest of the airframe, where it could be noted that many features are new, yet somehow familiarly Mustang.

Your point is likely valid. I have been following your motto of checking fit multiple times before committing, in each case taking into account adjacent assemblies, etc. Despite this I have come across no notable misalignments. I am sure you took the same care in assembly and as such I would have to guess that the nature of the kit's speciality was playing it's hand.

I have just finished major airframe contruction and I'm happy to report that I don't see any need to putty the main fuselage seam. I also was able to get the wings to sit flush with the fuselage. There is only a small gap where the top of the lower "scoop" squares itself into the fuselage. I'm hoping a bit of CA will do the trick here.

Pics below.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Yeah, the airframe overall was great, so long as I took care in being precise with attachment, which is what you have also done. The only place I found a need for any CA on a seam was the centerline seam on the underside of the airscoop, Considering what you did, it may be that was the place where i didn't get as precise a fit as i might have. Your work is looking good.

One thing to look forward to is fitting the canopy in the open position, which I presume you're going to do since that was the clear option you didn't have any crud in the mold. I suggest you sand down the rear deck that fits in the canopy till it's paper thin and you can see light through the thinnest area. Then scrape the interior of the canopy frame to get a very sharp thin edge on the bottom (but not right at the front, you want that to look "square" on the bottom. You also need to sand down the "hump" right at the end of the area of the read decking on the fuselage, to flatten it. Doing all that lets you finally fit the canopy so it sits with the front edge on the sill, and the rear tip on the fuselage. I'm attaching a photo here of how the canopy sits when open. If you do all that, you don't see any of it since it is under that rear deck in the canopy. I almost think getting the Falcon Models "Mustang Special" vacuform canopy set to get the vacuform P-51H canopy would be a good idea if I do another one (who am I kidding, of course I'll do one when Caracal brings out their P-51H sheet).

Also, this photo shows the wing wasn't puttied and is straight aluminum in finish.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.