Modelsvit P-51H

Started by Andrew H · 27 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 2 months ago:

It's been quite a while since last update, for one reason or another. Anyway, made some good progress on this build, and thought it would be a good time update.

The fuselage has been together and painted for sometime, but I held short of putting a finish on the Vallejo metallics until this week. To start the paint, I used Vallejo's gloss black base. I wasn't quite happy with how well it laid out, but time and practice are the only things that'll fix that, I feel. I laid a base layer of aluminum, then I did some altering shades of white aluminum and semi-matte aluminum. Again I wasn't quite happy with the results, but overall it was looking pretty cool.

I had to repair a few places that I botched the masking and pulled up the base layer, but this added to a panel or two having that ever so slight variation. I masked over the aluminum (carefully de-tacking my Tamiya tape) to spray all accent colors but the yellow of the canopy. This will be removed later and sprayed separately.

This evening I got all the main decals placed and will back work the stencils. Man it has really come alive now!

After stencils will be sealing the decals and finish, then some very light weathering for accents. Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

That's one pretty pony!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 2 months ago:

This kit is really coming along nicely. I don't see anything with the natural metal finish that detracts.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

This is looking great. Really like how the NMF has turned out.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Looking excellent!

Vallejo's black base is way too grainy. I use Tamiya X-1 Gloss Black, thinned 60 (paint)-40 (thinner) and mist it on. Gives a glass-like finish, yet still has something for the metallic paint to grab.

If you haven't sealed the decals yet, you don't have to. They're fine unsealed on mine. Sealing will change the NMF.

• Profile Photo

Tom, thanks!

I haven't sealed them yet, but I [forgot to mention that I] sealed the NMF with Vallejo's water based Metal Varnish. I've have really hit or miss history with this stuff in the limited time I've used it. However when done right I've been able to achieve a smooth high-gloss finish that is great for applying decals, and helps the NMF to pop. I'll have to test spraying it over decals, but aside from that, I imagine that with the varnish on, there's not much a chance that a final varnish would damage or change the NMF base color/consistency. Again still not sure if I can layer the metal varnish on metal varnish, but id like to seal the decals somehow. So I will test!

• Profile Photo

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Just a little teaser for today.. Finished up painting and construction last night, just need a add a few touches (mainly exhaust weathering) and this bird will be done.

For the paint, I did a lot of testing on an ICM paint mule, and found that I was happiest setting aside the airbrush for in favor of spray can lacquer clear coat. Of course I had already sprayed the NMF with Vallejos own metal varnish, this the NMF colors were protected from the lacquer, and as a result, the paint and decals are nicely sealed. I shine on this this thing is great, as if someone had plenty of time to polish it.

Stay tuned...

Completed model featured here:

North American P-51H - Modelsvit 1/48

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 1 month ago:

looking fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Smashing model Andrew, really like the details the kit has and how you masterfully painted the model

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 1 month ago:

This is one great build! - well done, and thank you for the ponderings on the paint - I will make good use of it when time comes for some NMF for me.