Monogram 1/48 B-24D/J Combo Build, "The Squaw", "Flak Alley" and "Tubarao" Combo Build

Started by Walt · 462 · 1 year ago · B-24, B-24D, Flak Alley, Monogram 1/48, Sleepy, The Squaw, Tubarao
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

This is rounding the last turn and thundering down the straightaway toward a Great Finish, @luftwaffe-birdman.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Ditto with our friend's @tcinla words, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! In fact, lost of words!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

This is beautifully done, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    The current tint does look perfect this way.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Getting closer. Attached the main gear struts and removed the glazing masks. Still have the nose gear to set, the bomb bay doors that I revised and printed new, top turret and antennas to add. Still getting close to being done!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looks fantastic with the masks removed, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Looking forward to those new bay doors to being mounted.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking awesome, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

All that work is really paying off. This is definitely one of the Top Ten you've done, @luftwaffe-birdman.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Definitely getting close to the end, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). Staining on the top of the nacelle looks great. It looks like you might have used oils on the nacelle and then sprayed the exhaust staining farther down. Am I close?

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 6 months ago:

George, @gblair, I did a wash using Lamp Black and Raw Umber, with lots of black for the oil. The panel lines darkened up nicely and then air brushed a mix of Dullcote with 3 drops of Flat Black added. I tape of the cowl flaps and then air brush from their back over wing surface spraying more coats on the nacelle and spraying the area where the nacelle meets the wing and spreading out a little along panel lines. I as I go back over the wing I increase the spray but pull further away from the wing. It gives me a pretty decent effect. If I was going to go real dark I would end up adding browns and tans to lighten it up and show up some of lead from fuel stains, but that would be only in the actuall exhaust area.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I have used oils for weathering for a while now, and I also use my airbrush for exhaust and gun stains, but I haven't had a lot of luck combining them in the same area. Time to go back and give it another try on an upcoming model. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 6 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman I'm impressed about Your Liberator!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Walt B (@luftwaffe-birdman)

Wow ! You have made some serious progress with the weathering and it looks wonderful. I think your choice of color for the tire tread looks very nice too. I have not been very active on Imodeler recently. We had another hurricane pass through, and once again we were very lucky. I have had other life stuff get in the way of the bench time I would like to have. Things happen like this once in a while. Doctor appointments and so on...

I have to place a temporary hold with working on my B-24 "Tubarao". I have a pair of 1/32 scale Revell Mustangs underway, (also posted in this group) and these were temporarily placed in a holding pattern until I figured out how to tackle a problem I was having with them in two different locations.

One Mustang was a tribute build for Major Preddy, who was killed on Christmas Day 1944. My original plans were to get it done so I could post it in the headlines section on Christmas Day. Now I have figured out what steps were needed, so I want to get it done in time to meet the deadline I set.

Once the Mustang is completed, I will resume work on Tubarao, and a few others I have started mainly the various 109's. Thankfully I can use this new found technique on the B-24, and any other natural metal aircraft where I am not able to easily use bare metal foil.

It shouldn't take too long to complete the Mustang now. I made some considerable progress on "Cripes A Mighty" a few days ago, so please look for an update coming up on it next.

By the looks of things, "Squaw" will be in the headlines soon.