Monogram 1/48 B-24D/J Combo Build, "The Squaw", "Flak Alley" and "Tubarao" Combo Build

Started by Walt · 462 · 1 year ago · B-24, B-24D, Flak Alley, Monogram 1/48, Sleepy, The Squaw, Tubarao
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Very nice weathering, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    I'm always impressed by your 'shading' results.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Huge difference! Great stuff Walt.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 4 months ago:

The Holidays have kept me busy and away from the model table a bit, but I have found some time. I have scribed panel lines before, having done a Monogram 1/48 B-25, B-17 and C-47. This, though, was my first time to try and add some riveting details to it. I had purchased the Trumpeter Rivet tool and used it for some minor riveting on some panels here and there. I like the fine pitch of the finest wheel, but I found that the tool is really sub par. The thin rivet wheel due to the pressure exerted during the riveting process caused it to cut into the plastic axle shaft. This, in turn, would cause the wheel to bind up and actually get to point where wheel barely showed at the bottom. I looked on line for other options and EVERY thing was either half a world away or out of stock. I found a package of three made by Excel the looked like they might do the job on Amazon an ordered them.

The only the smallest two are really useful for 1/48th scale and even there only the smallest for most of it. I found them easier to use and control and they put nice rivets in your model. While not as busy at it should be, I think adding the rivets along the panel lines will add interest and needed texture to the slab sides of the plane.

I also cleaned out the interior of the nose compartment and have started adding details to make it busier and more interesting, starting with the inner structure.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This is simply superb job, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! The riveting along the panel lines makes a huge difference. Love the internal details you have started to add, as well.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

What a lot of work with fantastic result, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    The rivets are an absokute great addition to the aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Taking a break from scribing, I went back to the wings. I glued the firewall piece on for the nacelle, then the rest of the nacelle and engine will attach to that. The fit in general was pretty good, though not a perfect match with a little work they will blend together. I have done some preliminary work on these two but nothing too serious yet. You can see the fit isn't bad. When you add the rest of the nacelle with the engine it really turns out pretty impressive.

Happy New Year to everyone. Hope this one is better than the last two.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Beautiful work on the engines, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Good start of another challenging year.

• Profile Photo

Splendid result, my friend @lutfwaffe-birdman! The improvement over the stock is truly big, with your Liberator getting better and better.
    Still haven't started my Liberator: not only do I have many ongoing projects, but, lately, life severely interfered. Hope to start mine soon!
    Happy new year, hoping to better than last year in a number of ways...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    These various additions / upgrades have definitely been worth the extra effort. They really look great and will be even better once painted. I purchased two of the "Rosie the Riveter" tools and I am very happy with how they work. The only problem I have encountered using them is making rivet lines that go all the way into a corner or a 90 degree right angle. Then the outer diameter of the wheel doesn't allow me to continue with the riveting work, so out comes the old school pin and I'll press each one in by hand.

Did you ever get the tire / wheel combination sorted out ? There's a company in the Ukraine named Halberd Models and they make some really nice aftermarket wheel and tire combinations. I do have a bunch of pictures of the tire and landing gear assembly of the real thing stored on my cell phone. Let me know if you need any pictures and I'll be happy to send them to you via PM.

Spiros, @fiveten
    I too hope this year will be much better for all of us.

Now I have some bench time, so please look for me to start working on Tubarao again.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, Spiros and Louis, ( @johnb, @fiveten, @lgardner). I had the same problem with the Trumpeter riveter, Louis, the size of the wheel and holder kept you far out from corners when you ran up against vertical surfaces. The new ones being smaller I can get in closer which helps reduce the individual ones I have to make. I have also solved my wheel problem for the most part. I bought a set of wheels from Lone Star Models, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057032036635 . They are pretty nice, he made molds from printed wheels he made. They do show some striations from the printing process but should clean up nicely with some light sanding and really do have some nice detail. I will have to do some work to get them on the gear, the shafts on the gear are smaller than the diameter of the hole. I will figure something out but I think these wheels will look great.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those are truly wonderful wheels, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

Those wheels are amazingly detailed, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    This looks like a very nice set of aftermarket wheels you picked up. I was going through some pictures in my phone earlier today, and I ran across a bunch of pictures that I personally took of the Collings Foundation B-24 named "Witchcraft". These are just a few, I literally have well over 100 similar pictures that show up most of the little details that we as model builders are always fascinated with.

These are some of the landing gear and tire photos I have.

These next two pictures show some of the details in the turbo's.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next installments. Once I get these 1/32 scale Revell Mustangs done, I'm jumping in with both feet on Tubarao.

Hope this helps you.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis! @lgardner, those are some great pictures. I really apreciate the landing gear and rear engine nacelle pictures. Monogram molds them closed, and they should be open. Opened mine and and tried to duplicate box that projects out the back of the outboard nacelles. I would love any interior shots, you might have, and one place often overlooked is the bombay doors. I would love to improve my kit doors a little because I do want to pose them open.

I hope to see your Tubarao progress pictures soon!

• Profile Photo

I have been a little side tracked on my builds since I purchased a resin printer for myself as a Christmas present to me. There is a learning curve, but it really is an amazing tool I hope to be able to utilize more as I get better with the programs and the printer.

The Browning M2 50 Caliber Machine Gun, was a mainstay of American aircraft offensive and defensive armament. The 50 cal guns in the kit are okay, but I found a file on line for a printed 50 cal. It was the vehicle version with out the perforated air cool jacket over the barrel seen on the bomber aircraft but I already had barrels. I looked up a dimensioned drawing of the gun on line and then using the software in the printer to scale out the size. I hit the multiply button and printed up 20 machine gun bodies. These are small, just over a 1/2" or about 13mm but the detail is incredible and more than you get from injection molding. The detail as you can see shows that you can see through the port where the bullet feed is. Really incredible, in accurate scale are smaller around then the kit, the length is about the same.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.