Monogram 1/48 B-24D/J Combo Build, "The Squaw", "Flak Alley" and "Tubarao" Combo Build

Started by Walt · 462 · 1 year ago · B-24, B-24D, Flak Alley, Monogram 1/48, Sleepy, The Squaw, Tubarao
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis, @lgardner, good memory on the color of the car, it is Fawn Beige Metallic. I painted my friends 62 Nova in the same color, but changed it up for him by doing the top in the non-metallic Almond Beige and the interior in red. It is really turned out as one of the nicest early Nova's I have ever seen.

I did the engines pushrod tubes using 0.020" plastic rod from Evergreen. I am finding the engine builds to be tedious, with 14 cylinders, times four engines, is 56 cylinders, each getting 2 push rods and spark plug wires. That is 112 pushrods and wires. Painfully slow and delicate work.

Once done though I will paint the engines black and then drybrush with silver to highlight the fin edges and gets the shadow built in. I used to paint silver and then wash in black to get that effect, but found the black first works way better for me, especially for a well used engine on hard used aircraft.

Also the pictures are awesome, thanks for sharing them. I love the shots of the interior of the Nacelles, I am sure very helpful to anyone wanting to go crazy, or maybe do a maintenance diorama.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    Somewhere I have a picture of a similar car like the one I took my driving test in. I was pretty sure about the name of the color, but not positive. It’s a cool color and you just don’t see it too often. I have only seen it used one other time and it was on a Corvette. You are doing some really nice stuff with your Corvairs.

I’m also a gear head. I was working on my Challenger. It had some tiny pin holes in the sheet metal. So I kept on cutting until I ended up with good solid metal and this is what it ended up looking like. All of the exterior metal and the floor were trashed. So was the trunk floor. I sand blasted it down to nice clean bare metal.

It had lost all of the alignment so I had no choice but to fabricate a frame rail jig. Here we are welding it up in my buddies paint booth.
    I had to scrub it down afterwards so he could use it without worrying about contamination.

Here is the frame rail jig in action as I started spot welding the trunk floor in.

Eventually I got the body reassembled. Here it is headed back to my friends shop, so he could help me put it on my rotisserie.

The spot welds look exactly like the factory ones. I can duplicate the welds with consistency because my welder has a timer on it.

I had these B-24 pictures on my cell phone and they might be useful for you.

I have way too many pictures on my phone so I should probably make a disc or get a thumb drive for them.
    My Challenger restoration was put on hold so I could concentrate on my wife’s little Dodge Dakota RT. It’s getting closer to completion and I hope to be working on the Challenger again soon.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. I have a bunch more if you need anything else.

• Profile Photo

Fabulous work on your Challenger Louis,@lgardner! The attention to details is really going to pay of in the end.

The picture of the Vertical Stabilizer is awesome. The faded olive drab looks great, and also shows something that we modelers like to do. If you look at some of the panel lines they are darker than panels, subtle yes, but a good example to show that pre-shading panels lines actually has some justification.

I have one engine done, another prewired and another started. Once they are done I expect the final assembly of the wings to go quickly. Then I will be off to work on the interior.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Excellent wiring on those engines, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Excellent engine job, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

I found a little time this weekend to work on the B-24. I have started work on the fuselage interior, but more importantly I have gotten close to finishing up the engines. All that is left is a clear coat and wash and they will be done. I don't think they look too bad already, it is a shame that so much is hidden in the engine nacelle.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The engines look simply perfect, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

They look great, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Especially the wiring does add a lot to the looks of them.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Those are some great looking radials Walt, really nice work.

• Profile Photo

In my switch over to Mr Color Lacquers I bought some Mr Metal Colors. I thought these would try these for the exhaust on the B-24. I painted them with Dark Iron, in the process of mixing I spilled some and when I wiped it off my mat, it seemed to change color. When I sprayed it on, it just seemed to be a dark gray and not very metallic at all. I went back to the bottle and looked at the mat, and saw the fine print. "It Provides Metallic feeling when the paint Surface is Polished." Sure enough polishing the flat dark gray surface changed to a much more metallic looking smooth surface. I painted a little copper around the flanges and the circular part near the outlet. After a polish I was incredibly happy with the results. I don't think the pictures do the results justice.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

From the picture the exhausts look very nice, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo

Nice metalizer effects, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Those exhausts look superb!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

That's some amazing work on those engines, Walt. Really great result.

• Profile Photo

Started the "FLAK ALLEY", glued the side windows and the cockpit floor...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten, interesting approach, glueing the windows in is usually the last thing I do before putting it together. One of the fun things about being here, see different techniques and methods by other modelers.