Monogram/Encore 1/48 F-102A

Started by Tom Cleaver · 27 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Ditto for me, Tom (@tcinla). You got to this point on this model in the time it took me to gather the paints for my current model. Aluminum looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great @tcinla! Wish the Daggers flew in aluminum with HAF, but, sadly, they did not..
    Have to resort to the Vietnam camo (which I prefer over the early ADC gray).

• Profile Photo
    Marvin Reyes said 3 years ago:

Excellent subject, Tom. The old Monogram/Encore F-102 is one of those kits that jkust has to be built , at least once in a modelers life... a classic kit, just like some of us.
    I like the Deuce, perhaps because it was an ANG aircraft, and because it was on-strength with the 144th FIW, located here in Fresno when I was a member of that unit. The Fresno-based F-102's were all in SEA camo IIRC, but the ones in the other Deuce-equipped CA ANG unit (196 FIS/163 FIG, located in Ontario CA) were painted silver for some reason. As an aside, one of these silver-painted F-102A's was on display in a small park in Clovis CA (a city adjacent to Fresno) for many years during the 1970's...it is unknown how this came to be, but in the event, this aircraft was eventually removed, but it is uncertain what happened to it. The ironic thing is that the 144th is located just a few miles away from this park, but the one put on display in the park came from SoCal, hundreds of miles away...very strange, indeed.

Thanks for the memories of the old F-102A, an aircraft that is still fresh in my mind.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Nice, Tom. That’s such a sharp scheme with that tail band and stars.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

Rounding the final turn with the finish line in sight.

The Falcon missiles are now mounted on their launchers and installed in the bay, with the dividers and doors. The overall red-orange is the AIM-4A while the white/red-orange is the AIM-4D.

Drop tanks also attached.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Some serious armament, Tom @tcinla.
    Love it that you did build it with the missiles visible.
    Looking forward to the final stage.

• Profile Photo

Almost there!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

Finito!

This came out much better than I was expecting at the halfway point.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great Tom. I’m not sure about any of mine at the halfway point either, but most turn out satisfactorily.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

That's a beautiful F-102, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Great achievement, Tom @tcinla.
    Really impressive.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Add my congrats to a great build, Tom (@tcinla). The old Monogram kits can still build into a really nice looking model.