Monogram P-38M Night Lightning

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 35 · 10 years ago · Lightning, P-38, P-38M
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 5 months ago:

@alanrush I wo'nt try to restore lost detail. I think the only option is to rescribe the whole thing to get an even look and feel. To me, this is not important (the Monogram kit is a stupid choice if you want to build a winner considering the Academy and Hasegawa kits available) since it is part of a "build the Monogram kits from your youth"-project! 🙂

Canopy turned out better than I expected after some sanding and polishing.

Bare-metal foil and Micro-Mask to fill in the gaps...

...and cockpit sealed-off!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

After more than a week of standstill, this one erupted in a frenzy of activity tonight!

Canopy area was painted interior-green for a start...

...have I offered a parts-on-sticks photo yet in this thread? If not so, here it is. If I already have - never mind! 🙂

Tamiya rattlecan silver (out of the can of course!) as a primer coat, dried with a hairdryer...

...and then on to the black. From (another) rattlecan!

Once again the hairdryer...

...and then a start with the decals! I have noted the silvering on the numbers, will give it a dose of micro sol tonight!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Are you going for a factory fresh finish or something more representative of how it looked in the field?

• Profile Photo
    Alan Rush said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Lots of activity, and it is looking very nice. I am starting out and have used spray cans for my models so far, but not happy with the heavy finish. How are you spraying? Multiple light coats with the primer showing through at the start? Is the hair dryer just to speed the drying time or does it have an effect on the finish? I am looking forward to seeing the finished plane since it is looking great so far. That was my version of 20 questions, Magnus, but was interested in your spraying technique

• Profile Photo

@camaro1 On the few photos I have seen of these aircraft they look almost factory-fresh (maybe they were when the photos were taken?). I do like the look of it right now (I was worried it would look toy-like but it doesn't, not to much anyway 🙂 ) but I usually weather my models quite a bit. We'll see how it all ends up!

@alanrush To start with, I use only Tamiya spray cans. There might be others that work equally as well but I have stuck to Tamiya. I have never tried masking and doing any more elaborate paintjobs with the cans, I have up until the P-38 only used their various silver finishes for making silver paintjobs (see examples below).

Before spraying I pour a pitcher of hot water from the tap and immerse the spray can for ten minutes. This raises the pressure in the can and makes the paint flow a lot easier, it settles a lot better onto the model. I think this is the main key to get a good result! Don't use boiling water by the way, it will make the bottom of the can go "pop"...

The hairdryer is only there for speeding up the drying time, I also have an idea that the quick drying makes the paint less likely to attack the plastic and putty below it (I've had trouble with putty crazing once, this probably could have been avoided by starting with one light coat to seal off the surface, a quick round with the hairdryer, and then a heavier coat).

I usually go over the model in just a few passes, sometimes I use the hairdryer inbetween, sometimes I don't. It is always a very quick process, a high-speed-silver 1/72 Vampire is probably finished in less than a minute.

I have never really failed using Tamiya sprays, it seems like they "shrink" a bit during hardening so even if I the paint coat looks a bit heavy while it is still wet it settles back beautifully when hardened.

The primers (fine grey and fine white) are equally as good, I use them on every model.

A Norwegian Vampire...

...and a Winjeel...

Finally: spray outdoors! The smell of these paints spread around the house and won't make you popular!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Guillermo Diaz De Leon Calzada said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Magnus,

P-38 Llightning is my favorite American WWII twin engine fighter, Monogram model is lovely for more of us (modelers) that built it in our childhood.
    I like the way what you are making this model.
    Congratulations.

Regards,
    Guillermo

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 10 years, 5 months ago:

@magnusf :
    This topic has now been moved to the group Work in progress - Aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    William J Benton said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Man all that putty brought back nightmares of the first time I built that kit. Really fantastic job though!

Will

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Sorry for my absence, time to get this one rolling once again!

I've used bare metal foil to make one of the natural metal areas around the supercharges, the other one to follow tonight. In order to bring some life to the black finish I went over it with a nail polisher that brought the hundreds of rivets into a silvery life. I am not sure that it is realistic but at least it isn't dull 🙂 !

Finally, I found a Youtube clip here that is worth spending a few minutes watching.

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Marcus, glad to see you continue with this one 🙂 .Its looking great. Are you building it with the gear lowered or retracted? I'm building the J model for the D-Day Group build, and was wondering how much weight will be needed to stop it from tail sitting. Nice to have you back. Cheers, Gregor

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for your detailed posting. Your giving us all a tutorial on how to present a build review. I for one am never too old to learn something. For instance, I never new a P-38 could have a crew of two.
    Looks like all your effort is going to pay off by the way.

• Profile Photo

@duffmodeler : Gregor! Check one of my earlier postings, I added fishing weights to the engine compartments. Didn't weigh them but there is quite some weight in there (model is heavy 🙂 !). It will be gear down configuration on this one.

@aloisious : Al! Yes, it could have a crew of two. Just about 🙂 ! Check that youtube clip. I wouldn't mind going along for a pleasure trip down the California coast but I would definitely have second thoughts about going to war double-bent under that canopy 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Marcus, i revisited your earlier posts and thats helped with my build. Great tip about the undercarridge - cutting the c shape - to install the gear later. That will save me from breaking them off during the build 🙂 .

• Profile Photo

Wheels, landing gear (at least 2/3 of them!), anti-glare panel and even some tentative weathering! Should be possible to get this one finished during the coming week!

Props...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Well done on progressing your Lightning. It looks cool in the overall black scheme. Look forward to seeing the completed model. Great job Magnus, this inspires me to push on with my one for the D-Day Group.