Monogram/Revell 1/48th Bf-110G2 ”Skeletal Hand” Build

Started by Walt · 89 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Bf-110, Luftwaffe, Monogram, Q1+VB, Revell, skeletal, skeleton
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Always a great idea to thin those intakes Walt!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great progress, Walt, at both car and model!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman),
    Great build so far.
    I pulled this kit off the SoD last year and made a little progress (with all the other kits I was building taking priority).
    I didn't know about the starboard intake - mine is oriented with the forward part at 10 o'clock and slanting toward 4 o'clock looking from the front. You are saying that it should be vertical. I must fix that.
    The kit has a flat armored plate behind the pilot but I can't find any photos of a Bf 110 with that configuration. The all have a roll-over frame arrangement.
    One thing I did last year was to pull this plate out of the assembled cockpit and start making a frame with copper wire. I must go back and finish that.
    My kit didn't have the resin nose so I'm building a MK 108 armed version based upon a photo I have in a Classic Publications book.
    I may join Tom's SoD thread and complete the build this year.

i like the way you tackled the wing join - I followed the instructions and lost a lot of detail getting the under surface right.

Looking forward to following your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Michael @michaelt thanks for following along. I am not sure I have not seen pictures of a plane with the armor plate either but will leave it in. The resin nose fit well. I only knew better about wing join from building one previously. Sometimes you just can't go by the directions. It does build up to a decent looking bird really and the cockpit detail is very nice. The canopy framing detail though seems soft...a real pain to mask.

• Profile Photo

I had the armour glued in too and it was only after I looked at the photo of the aircraft I'm building that I realised it didn't have any. So, I literally pulled it out and then went on a hunt for photos of Bf 110G cockpits to see what the framing looked like. I couldn't find any cockpit photos that had the armour plate - not to say that no aircraft had it.
    I also had alignment issues, but that was more to do with the nose. I still feel it is twisted just slightly clockwise looking from the front The wings and tail are square though I seem to recall a bit of an issue (it was a long time ago) that probably magnified the nose twist perception at the time.
    Much of the damage to the under-fuselage has been hidden by the gun pack, and I just rescribed (poorly) the remaining lost detail last night.
    I also cut the intake off and rotated it, thanks to you.

Another thought - what do you think of the main undercarriage?
    I have read that it is raked too far forward, but haven't done a proper assessment yet.

• Profile Photo

Michael @michaelt, I had forgotten about the landing gear issue and this build and my previous build I am not going to worry about it. Brett Green in his Osprey Modelling Book, "Modelling the Messerschmitt Bf 110" fixed the forward lean basically by attaching the gear forward mounting points lower on the panel on the forward part of the wheel well. I don't want to violate any copyright stuff, but if you have the book look at page 40, there is an explanation and a picture showing you what he did.

I am not going to worry about it, at this point, believe me no one will mistake it for anything other than a Bf 110. Also, the underwing pitot tube is incorrect, the G's had it in the leading edge of the wing, the F's had the underwing pitot.

• Profile Photo

Yes, I was aware of the pitot issue.

• Profile Photo

Now that I finished my B-17 time to move back to this build. I got ahead of myself a bit, gluing on the canopy and thinking I would be ready to paint, but I forgot about the drop tanks, maybe tomorrow. The canopy was a real pain to mask, as the framework is only faintly noticeable and almost completely vanishes under masking tape. I ended up using an old stand by, Parafilm. I have used it before and find it very reliable, but make sure you put a new blade in your knife before you start. Once done I will open up the cockpit canopy, just have it temporarily closed for paint.

The props are painted and should look okay once weathered.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Walt!
    I love your job at the canopy with good old Parafilm.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Some major progress here. Ain't that the story we end up with more often than not; Thinking "Yes, ready for paint" only to find a few bits that need to be added first?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Good progress, Walt. @luftwaffe-birdman
    A lot of masking indeed, as a matter of fact, I did mask my 110's canopy yesterday, but I had the luck that Eduard provided a masking sheet, so that helped a lot in applying 45 masks.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, @johnb I wish I had had a mask set for this bird. As it was I had masked the front one incorrectly, but checked my references and added the little sliver of tape along the top above the armored windshield. Thanks goodness I have the mask set for the P-61 I am building.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This is coming along very nicely, Walt. I really like the fine work you did on the cockpit. I have this kit in my stash. It will be very helpful to see how you build it up and handle the various issues, filling etc. Good luck with masking that greenhouse canopy. I have a similar challenge on my 32nd scale Buffalo - no pre-cut masks available.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Started to paint the bottom, RLM76 and it was going on nicely, then when I got to the nose I realized I had failed to fix a seam. Rats!

Clean up and let the paint dry and fixed the seam. Will get back to paint hopefully tonight, for sure this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Bugger. Well, that first coat sometimes lets us discover things.