New weekend project! Williams Bros. Ford Flivver

Started by Josh Patterson · 11 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I know I said weekend build, but I won't have this totally completed this weekend as I will need to wait for the gloss blue to dry. After that decaling and final assembly. The subassemblies however will be built and painted this weekend. This will be my first try at painting a wooden prop effect.

I've built a couple of Williams Bros. kits in my life (the last being the Gee Bee Z with an R2 in the works). I built the Corben Super Ace back in the 90's and thought it a little gem of a kit. (I ordered a replacement the same day as the Flivver and it should arrive Monday.) The Flivver looks to be the same! As I am a fan of juxtaposition, these two will be great fun to display with my 1/48 B-36!

It has been a while since I've posted any complete builds, but hopefully I can get some good outdoor shots of my just finished YF-16 in its smart red white and blue paint job and get that posted this weekend as well. (I've included a teaser!)

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Josh, I shall be looking forward to follow the build as I have a Williams Bros kit in the stash, and it looks a bit basic / limited run to me (it is a Boeing). Interesting comparison with the B-36!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice entry, my friend @jpatt1000.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

At about 2 1/2" long and a cockpit opening just big enough for a 1/48 scale torso to fit through you won't see much of the inside. Basic instrument panel with a decal for the instruments (which normally I don't like but I find it perfectly acceptable here. Rudder pedals are molded into the fuselage sides and it has a seat and control stick. I think that's all one needs here! The cylinders for the Anzani engine look great and will look even better with the tiny bit of flash trimmed off. The rest of the exterior is also nicely detailed which is where the kit designers time was best spent anyway! Neat little subject!

• Profile Photo

Quite right Josh, not a lot of the innards will be visible. As long as the exterior is as detailed as it can be on a very basic airplane, like this one, it will be sufficiently interesting.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice choice, Josh (@jpatt1000). I have built the B-10 and C-46 from Williams Brothers and they were fun to build. You are right about juxtaposition. I have a 1/72 B-25 bomber from WW2 sitting next to an F-4 Phantom, and they are just about the same size. Looking forward to seeing the finished plane.

• Profile Photo

Okay. Now I sit on this thing for a week or so while the blue dries! This is officially the smallest kit that I have worked on! (I have some Trumpeter 350th planes in the stash. They will be interspersed among the 1/48 scales as if they were R/C planes, similar to how the EAA museum is set up. Just some fun for the display!)

The main landing gear on this is dainty with the rods only being 1/16" or so! (And yes, I still use Testors tube glue quite regularly, probably 85-90% of the time! Especially for structures that will take stress like fuselage joins.)

For as old as this kit is the molding is spectacular (the engine cylinders in particular) and the fit splendid rivaling many current releases and exceeding the fit of many current limited run kits! This was the same experience I had building the Super Ace back in the 90's so other than the small size being a bit of an issue I had a good idea going in it was going to be smooth sailing! (The only fit issue I had to adjust was to remove some material to get the center of the wing flush with the bottom of the fuselage. On the real aircraft the trailing edge of the wing extends below the upward sweep of the fuselage bottom so the wedge shaped gaps between the fuselage and the wing seen when viewed from above are supposed to be there but there isn't supposed to be a step between the center section of the wing and the fuselage bottom.)

Speaking of the Super Ace, I'm off to work on that now! (Although getting the tailwheel mounted so a gap remains between it and the rudder is going to be troublesome methinks. I'll have to see how the truss assembly goes together and if it's up to the stress. I don't want to, but I may have to fake it and glue the wheel directly to the rudder.)

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice progress, Josh.
    Love the paintwork.
    Even at 1/48 it is small.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

What a liottle cutie, my friend @jpatt1000!
    Nice progress!

• Profile Photo

Such a nice little plane. Looks splendid in blue and silver.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice paintwork, Josh (@jpatt1000). The decals, along with the silver and blue, will really make this model stand out.