New Year's Resolution - step 1

Started by Tom Cleaver · 15 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

New Year's Resolution for 2021: clear out the Shelf of Doom. Build it or bin it, but clear it.

I've had this Special Hobby Fiat G-55 Serie O since 2007. Some stuff done on it, not much, it sat in the shelf, glanced at every once in awhile. And then last week, Reinhard posted the model done with the 3-tone camo and mentioned that the wing was wrong for a Serie O, so he did it as a Serie 1 using the cannon barrels in the kit. Wait! There were cannon barrels in there, and I could do the version I wanted to do? A quick check revealed that, yes indeed, those two things easily mistaken for sprue were cannon barrels, once cut off and cleaned up.

The wing had been assembled. So a quick bit with the cannon barrels and OK! We can do this!

Going for the fuselage by choosing the one the instructions say not to use, then finishing off the part-assembled cockpit and installing it. The kit is definitely "old school" Special Hobby. so-so fit, flash, etc. The left horizontal stabilizer needs modification so that the elevator hinge line is 90 degrees to the fuselage centerline. Nothing difficult.

Using some 2020 assembly skills, I ended up only needing to use some CA glue to fill the joint of the upper wing to the fuselage. And it wouldn't be SH from back then without a little shim at the front of the lower wing-fuselage joint.

But overall, once assembled, it looks OK.

Then I found this Vector 1/48 resin Hs-126 - an excellent kit needing some advanced skills in resin kit assembly that I think I now have and didn't 10 years ago. Sooooo...

Build 'em or bin 'em. But clear the SOD.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks good Tom and some good advice. I have 22 kits in various forms of togetherness. A few just need decals. Time to get going

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Tom, that's a great resolution. I've resolved (hopefully!) not to buy any new kits without first completing four first. There's no good reason why I can't build/sell what I have before relegating shelf space to a new box of plastic. Build is looking good so far, and I suspect it will be done before next week at your usual pace!

George, I've got 32 marked as started on my Scalemates log (not including many half baked kits from my younger years)... I can only think of two recent builds that I've started and finished without jumping to something else in the interim. It's no big deal, but it causes some undue clutter.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

BUILD 'EM! BUILD 'EM!
    NEVER BIN 'EM!
    Or, at least, bin 'em to me πŸ™‚
    Looking great so far, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

To bin them is definitely not the way, Tom.
    First looks are great on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Now painted. the Luftwaffe-style camo looks good on this airplane.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great indeed!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice looking camouflage, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Calling it finished. Once again, I take something off the Shelf of Doom and do it, and when I'm done, I ask myself WTF were you thinking, self? I never can figure out why I "lost the mojo" on the project. Not a particularly great kit, but the only one in 1/48 of this airplane, and with a bit of effort it comes out looking pretty darned good.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like a Fiat, so it must be a Fiat πŸ™‚ good work rescuing this SQ Tom. There’s a full NMF G-55 Post War that should be a good alternative to those luftwaffish schemes

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Although coming from the 'shelf of doom', you turned it into a great looking Fiat, Tom.
    This Luftwaffe scheme looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Came out plain beautiful, Tom @tcinla!
    Yep, it's a FIAT. An excellent one!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Beauty. Always loved the lines of this aircraft. Now if a mainstream maker could produce one...or do they?

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Fantastic finish for an SOD sitter! Go baby, go! Keep 'em coming - clear that shelf!