North American P-51B Mustang (Tamiya 1/48) versus A-36 Apache (AM 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 482 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Unfortunately the idea to use the closed canopy did not work since the closed canopy included in the kit is a combined front and middle section. With the front section already mounted on mine, I could not use it or I should have sawn away that part from the closed canopy option. To keep it simple I covered the interior with masking tape and some piece of cloth. Paint the canopy pieces first with the interior color.

Also finished the propellor, four seperate blades which aligned nicely. White spinner with red ring.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

All looking great, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This week has been progressing slow. More filing, filling, sanding and buffing the seams. I use a lamp with a magnifying glass and its been a game changer for me. Or a shock in what I had been missing with out. While doing more research of this aircraft, I've come to the conclusion that the carburetor intake (scoop above the cowling) maybe wrong in the kit. Artist drawings and other sources show an intake that is straight and parallel to the top of the cowling. Photos show a scoop that is shaped more like Spiros kit with a coke bottle shape. Maybe the designed change as the type developed but the photos of early cannoned armed Mustangs A s differs from the kit. I've started to blacken the kit with Tamiya flat black. I'm putting on thin coats and looking for more scratches and irregularities. I've also, sanded down the top of the tail and rudder a tad for the accuracy police and my conscience.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Applying uniform layers will always reveal irregularities unfortunately, Stephen @stephen-w-towle
    Even more visible when using a magnifying glass indeed.
    Not sure about the carburetor shape, but like you said, it might have changed over time.

• Profile Photo

You are doing an excellent job in achieving a uniform surface, my friend @stephen-w-towle! Very interesting discussion on the carburettor intake.

• Profile Photo

First round of primer, so far not that much imperfections are revealed .

• Profile Photo

Looking great primed, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo

Some little imperfections cleaned and next applied the pre-shading.

• Profile Photo

The preshading looks amazing, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking good john @johnb

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Stephen W Towle (@stephen-w-towle)
    You guys are knocking these out of the park ! I really like what you are doing here.

I wanted to share these pictures with you. I took them back sometime around 2010 or 2011. This is the restoration of the Colling's Foundation A-36. Sadly, these are the only pictures I have stored on our computer that I took during the restoration of this ultra rare bird.

I have more pictures, but first I have to find them, then electronically scan them, (so I could post them here too).

I'm also fairly certain I have some good pictures of the scoops you are talking about, for both the upper carb intake and the radiator "Alligator" openings.

Later this A-36 restoration won the "Golden Wrench" Award at Oshkosh.

I'll be watching for your next installments. Looking great !

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Me too. I’ve been watching all along!

• Profile Photo

Amazing pics, my friend @lgardner!