North American P-51B Mustang (Tamiya 1/48) versus A-36 Apache (AM 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 482 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

@gblair, @fiveten, thanks a lot. Need to dig up some pictures and will also refer to your scratch building George.

• Profile Photo

Found a very nice picture of how the piping was with the paper fuel tanks. Should be able to create something this weekend.
    Happy Eastern to all.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This looks really interesting, my friend @johnb! I am sure you will recreate the piping perfectly!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This will be a great addition, John (@johnb). I simulated the piping system with just one tube. Not completely accurate, but I think it looked OK.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, I will try to apply a dual pipe systems, but yours does look great with one pipe as well. Lots of people will not even notice them.

• Profile Photo

Preperations started for the dual fuel pipe system. Drilled holes on the fuel tanks as well as the wing side.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looking forward to your dual pipe plumbing, John (@johnb). Apparently you are not lazy like I was.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 1 month ago:

You’re definitely going all out for realism on this build, John @johnb. That tubing is going to really ratchet it up a few notches.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Impressive attention to detail on the piping, John. I am not sure what you are using for hose, but I would go for fine wire solder myself. It seems to bend more realistically than stretched sprue or regular wire. Fragile but worth it, IMO. Also, I have done the couplings on "pipe" like this reasonably well with Tamiya tape. I am sure you have equally good or better ideas yourself but just my 2 cents worth.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thank you, George. The idea is all because the great work you did on your Mustang.

@eb801, thanks, Eric. Now the fiddling part starts.

@coling, thank you, Colin. The idea is to use a solder wire for the thicker (upper) pipe and a slightly thinner piece of a braided electrical wire. The latter will indeed be more difficult to shape.

• Profile Photo

The preparations look excellent, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to the piping itself!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Now spring finally arrived in the Netherlands, my first activity today was taking the motorcycle outside and had a 60km ride together with my daughter prior to having a reunion with the family.
    At home I continued work on the fuel tanks of the Mustang. The two 'pipes' are connected to the tank which is now connected to the wing. Next will be connecting the pipes to the wing.

• Profile Photo

Great you took your bike for a ride, my friend @johnb!
    The piping looks amazing!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Bikes n Pipes. All look and sound good. What kind of bike do you ride, John @johnb.