Oh no, not another MiG-31!

Started by George Johnson · 38 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I love the finish you achieved on the Su-27 test. I don't think it is too subtle at all! I'm really looking forward to the finished project.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Getting ready to paint this beast. After all my trials and tests, I've decided on painting it with Tamiya paints. I chose XF-53, Neutral Gray 35% and XF-2 Flat White 65% overall. I think this is closer to the pictures I've seen. I think that this will also give me more options for weathering it later.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Paint Process Proceeds. I primered this beast with a mixture of Mr Paint gray and white primers for no other reason than I had spilled most of the gray onto my table and needed additional primer. As you can see in these pics, I also sprayed areas that I'm going to weather firstly with a combination of AK and Alclad metallics. Colors used were Magnesium, Aluminum, Dark Aluminum, and Steel. I waited about 24 hours for the paint to dry until I wetted parts of the metallics with a damp flat brush. I them sprinkled various sizes of salt crystals onto the respective surfaces, waited for that to dry thoroughly, then sprayed the areas with a 4:1 mixture of Mr Paint Lemon Gray and Zinc Chromate. I then used a wet flat brush to scrub the salt away after the paint dried. The last step involved was blending the yellow and metal. This was accomplished by very lightly sanding the yellow with 4000 grit cloth. The entire process will be repeated for the top gray layer. I might hit a few areas with metallics before I spray the Traffic Gray/Gunship gray mixture. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Fantastic start, George.
    Going for something special - given the many builds of this kit out there, I'm sure this is the right approach.
    And I just can't stop thinking of this now soon 25 years old U2 song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZTNBdKNUek

• Profile Photo

Hey Johannes- I can see why it reminds you of that song. Very funny. There are so many beautiful builds of this model out there, but they pretty much look the same, and that's because, well, all MiG-31s look the same. I decided against using Tamiya paints and am going to stick with Mr Paint. The finish is smoother and more resistant to washes.

• Profile Photo

Painting the 1/48 AMK MiG-31 with Mr Paint. I added salt to the areas that I had previously painted with metallics and Mr Paint Lemon Gray/Zinc Chromate mixture, and now I'm adding some colored base layers and pre-shading a bit with Mr Paint basic black. Most of this will disappear and remain very subtle because I want to emphasize the worn areas. I pre-shaded the yellow/metal areas very lightly as I didn't want the final result to look to strong there. So far so good. I have to be careful not to knock the salt off, especially since the sides remain un painted at this moment. We'll see how this all turns out. I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like, but I can't be 100% sure. I will paint some streaks of violet, blue and green here and there to modulated the gray a bit.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The hot phase is about to begin. Have a long sleep and a good meal ...

• Profile Photo

I did- Had a liverwurst und zempf sandwich and a beer. Good night's sleep, too!

• Profile Photo

I started painting the main color onto my 1/48 AMK MiG-31. As you can see, the salt technique is turning out pretty well. I tried using AMK chipped paint solution, and unless I attack it right away with a brush, nothing happens. I'll try hairspray next time. I used MRP Traffic Gray mixed with a little Dark Gull Gray. Pre-shading was accomplished with MRP Black and Blue of Su-27s.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

More paint on the 1/48 AMK MiG-31. I've been having fun with this one. I followed some one's advice and used hairspray to chip the paint and it works great. I decanted a little into my airbrush cup and applied it to the flaps, windshield, and nose of the model. Sprayed it with several shades of MRP and these are the results. Salt was used on the fuselage with interesting results. I'm really enjoying this build and I plan on doing another 31 soon. I've applied some panel line washes to the top, but noticed after I shot the photos that some areas need a little extra attention. I also used MRP matte clear on the nose. First time that I've used it and the results are simply wonderful. I'm running a test to see how it holds up to some extreme washes.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's looking delicious, George. Especially at the nose and the dielectric panels the chipping looks more realistic then reality. Fantastic work!
    I recommend to use the HGW water slide decals. They don't have any carrier film remaining and that will give you more degrees of freedom when it comes to giving the model a proper sheen at the end.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Johannes! I remember you using the water slide decals and they looked fantastic on yours. I will order a set today.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Looks fantastic - and I agree with Johannes on the chipping and salt work. Excellent!

• Profile Photo

Making some serious progress on the fantastic AMK MiG-31. Mr Paint is fantastic. I added panel line washes without destroying the finish. Unlike a lot of other paints I've used, MRP is very resistant to enamel solvents. Decals are next followed by a few more washes. I polished the paint with 8000 grit cloth and I won't have to used a gloss coat, first.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Impressive! This weathirng looks as real as it gets. Waiting for more. 🙂