Operation Vengeance Tamiya P-38 ”Miss Virgina, G4M-1 ”Yamamoto” Betty, and A6M-3 Zero in 1/48 scale

Started by Louis Gardner · 102 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Stephen, @stephen-w-towle
    That idea of yours might just be the ticket. I saw an artists illustration showing the various maneuvers that were flown by Lamphier and Barber as they intercepted the Betty's. It may have included some of the Zero's as they were intercepted by other P-38's.

I believe it was based on the after action report. This would be interesting to see wouldn't it ? Wonderful idea... Now I'll have to go find that illustration again... You're absolutely correct, there's been a lot of reading and searching going on for this build. I like history, so its actually fun for me doing the research. At times it is just as fun or even better than building a model. This is particularly true when a kit is fighting you. Luckily for me, this hasn't been a problem with these builds. Not yet, and I hope it continues this way.
    Now I just jinxed myself... quick ! Find some wood and knock on it.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo

Jim, @jimh
    Now that is very cool ! Like the artist illustration I mentioned earlier to Stephen, I have seen the routes that were flown during the mission from both sides posted on the internet. I might find that flight path again and post it here to show others just how much of a navigational feat this was... I have read where they "borrowed" a few Navy compasses since they were considered more accurate. This was done way before GPS Navigation came around. I remember reading something about one of the pilots talking about how they were flying so low ... and how he remembered seeing sharks in the waters just below the surface, hoping that he wouldn't end up with them...

Thank you VERY much for posting this... It's very cool to see exactly where this stuff happened. Like you, I agree it would be cool to retrace their footsteps. Maybe if I ever hit the lottery. I'll give you a call...

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tom-bebout
    Thanks for sharing the story about your mom with us. My condolences for your loss. Even if some time has passed, I'm sure there's not a day that goes by where you don't think about her. She sounds like she was a special lady...

I'm simply amazed at just how many people knew about the P-38 and how it was their personal favorite. I had a school bus driver who was a pilot in the Army Air Force during the War... I asked him which planes he flew. He immediately told me he flew the A-20 Havoc, and how sweet it was to fly at treetop level. I asked him how he was selected to fly the A-20. He told me that he was given a choice of what kind of plane he wanted to fly... single seat planes or if he wanted to go to twin engine flight school at this point. He told me he chose the twins, because he wanted to fly the P-38 ! In the long run the put him in the A-20 instead...

I remember watching your P-38 come to life in our Kasserine Pass GB... It's a real beauty. You did good. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next creation as I'm sure it will be a good one. Good luck with the decal outsourcing... can you combine several names of various planes to get the exact name you want ? Such as "Anna" and "Belle" ? The B-17 Memphis Belle or the F4U #86 named Lucybelle (Boyington's plane) could be a starter... Just a thought.

Thanks buddy...

• Profile Photo

OK boys and Girls, here we go.

Tonight's show will be on how the Mitsubishi G4M wings and engine nacelles were built. Can you say "Nacelle" ? Good, I knew you could... It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.

OK enough of this "Mr. Rogers" stuff for today... maybe enough for the rest of the month even.

Late last night I assembled these parts from the first Betty kit. Like the rest of the assembly, it has gone together without incident so far. Here are the engine nacelles, engine cowlings and tires... OK "tyres" for you chaps across the pond...

The landing gear doors are a combined integral part that also have inner surface details that represent the inner side of the nacelles. It's a simple thought and it fits very well.

The rudder isn't included as part of the fuselage halves as you typically find in a model. Instead, it's offered as a two part separate piece that gets inserted into the fuselage, like you would expect with a stabilizer assembly. Here both halves have been glued together. The fit is perfect.

The wings are another simple affair. Two big parts, an upper and a lower half. The fit was spot on perfect... I placed a metal ruler next to the assembled wing to give you an idea as to just how big this plane is going to be... and it's a big one ! The separate flaps are molded to be installed in the lowered position. You can cut off the mounting tabs and raise them if you wish. I probably will on mine as most often the flaps are raised in the pictures of various G4M Betty's that I have seen so far. I'll dig into this some more before I do some cutting.

Here I placed a completed flap into the sockets to show you how it looks. Not too bad...

I flipped the wing over and took this next picture. Here you can see the foot long ruler and how it compares to the wing section for size.

The other wing was assembled... Same thing with the ruler. It's going to be a big plane once it's all done.

Here I have placed both wings and the steel ruler next to each other. I "guesstimated" how wide the fuselage would be to give you an idea on the total wingspan.

Here in this last picture, I have placed the bomb bay door in between the wings and the flaps have also been positioned nearby.

It was a very fast paced build for these last parts. Things went together very quickly at this stage of the build.

There are not many parts left in the box now... So it's time to change gears and get another "Betty" started before I start spraying some paint... Mitsubishi Interior Green to be exact.

The Zero's are ready, and now this first Betty is ready for interior paint too.

Or do I start the P-38's ? Hmmmm. It's very tempting.
    As always, comments are encouraged.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, my vote is you get the other Betty started and ready for paint. Run the production line on what you have up to the initial painting and let them rest while you start the 38's. Or not...just me thinking I'm being logical. Do what you want, we are just along for the ride.

As for the flaps being extended, remember that conversation we had about the flaps on a Helldiver? S.O.P on board a Carrier required that all aircraft after landing, the attitude adjustment features (flaps, horizontal stabilizer and ailerons were secured once parked. Meaning that immediately after landing, the handlers would direct the pilots to close flaps and fold wings if equipped. Once parked, the other surfaces would be secured by the deck crew with cables inside the cockpit. Here is the way they would secure a Helldiver. On the CAF Helldiver, we have external locking devices instead of this system.

For land operating aircraft, things are a bit different. If the normal routine was to land and/or take off with flaps extended, they may not return them to a closed position after landing (though they should) and extended flaps were not necessarily a hazard for ground personnel as they could be on a flight deck.

So in a nutshell, do what you want, either way would be correct. Extended flaps and drooped elevators give a cool effect on most models. Just my two cents.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Louis you will appreciate the thought Tamiya put into the assembly of the kit, the exact fit of the flying surfaces. The installation of the tail. The horizontal stabs and elevators. I goofed on the engine to nacelle step by not paying attention to the fact there is a reason why Tam's approach is exact, if you deviate it won't fit or look right. For the amount of parts it goes together rather quickly once you get the interior in place.

• Profile Photo

Hello James.
    I have decided to follow your advice and start the other Betty. I’ll get it done to the same place as this one is and then I’ll paint all the Mitsubishi planes at the same time. Good idea you have there.

Also I’ll build one with the flaps up as I originally intended, and I’ll lower the flaps on the second one. Another great idea you had there.

I remember our previous conversation with the operating system that was used on the SB2C. That is some great information you shared with me.

Thanks !

Chuck,
    I have been using your Betty build journal as a reference for building up mine. You have included a lot of great information and the pictures you posted are very good too. It has been very helpful during the build of this one.

Tamiya has definitely made an effort to keep the details intact and make it a builder friendly kit. I am very pleasantly surprised by how nice this kit has been going together. The fit has been spot on and the details are very nicely done. I’m sure that someone could add some extra stuff and have a Museum piece with a little extra effort.

This journal is going to be on a temporary hold pattern until I get the MiG 15’s done. I also have a 1/48 scale Monogram B-24 underway, so once I start building this one again I’ll be going back and forth between the B-24 and this Yamamoto build.

So please stay tuned !
    Thanks again everyone ... and as always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I saw on Hyperscale where Brett Green did a review on a new set of P-38 decals that were newly released. This was music to my ears !

This set is made by Xtradecal and is available in 1/48 scale. Numerous "early" F/G/H Lightning's are covered. It just so happens that two of them are subjects I have wanted to build for ages. Now they're available so when the set becomes more easily available here in the US, I'll pull the trigger and get one of these.

The decals have markings for a P-38 that was flown by the US Army out of Orlando, Florida during WW2. Being a Florida Native, I have always wanted to build this very plane from the moment I first saw a picture of it years ago.

The other plane I am extremely interested in on this decal sheet is named "Phoebe" and was flown on the Yamamoto mission by none other than Thomas Lamphier.

So if I am fortunate enough to get my hands on a set of these decals, I will build one Tamiya P-38 using the kit supplied markings for Miss Virginia, as flown by Rex Barber, and the other plane will be marked as "Phoebe".
    There also happens to be a set of markings for "Pudgy" but this time it's in OD Green instead of a natural metal finish. The review stated these decals should work on the Hasegawa kit as well as the Tamiya, and since I have a few of the Hasegawa kits in the stash, why not ?
    Things are looking better all the time.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I think there is another Gardner assembly line comin' up 🙂

May have to check if Glacier Girl is available, should I ever wander from 109's (oh - wait - I did that with the DHC6 already - disregard last part)

Looking forward to the ride!

• Profile Photo

Hey Erik ! @airbum

Yes, if I can get my hands on those decals there will definitely be a P-38 assembly line underway here at the "Iron Werks"... as a side note, I found this picture in my photos. I have had it for a little while now, and it shows the P-38 that was flown from the Orlando Army Airfield during the war. This plane is included in the decal set I mentioned earlier in the previous posting.

Now how cool would it be to replicate all 3 planes in this picture ? Hmmmmmm the wheels are turning !

• Profile Photo

Eric, @airbum

I managed to get a set of the decals... They arrived on the doorstep today from England. This is a wonderful set of decals and is worthy of it's own review. There are quite a few different planes that one can build using this single set. In fact they look so good, it just might be a good excuse to try and score a few more Tamiya P-38's...

and now I can build both Lanphier's #122 "Phoebe" and Barber's #147 "Miss Virginia" using the Tamiya kit supplied decals. This way both men will be represented in this tribute build.

Here are the ones that I specifically purchased the set for.

They are:
    Thomas Lanphier's "Phoebe"

The un-named plane from Orlando Army Airfield. This plane is also in the original WW2 color picture I posted in my last comments. It is flying with a P-51 and a P-47.

and this one is another "must build"... it is the original "Pudgy" as flown by Thomas McGuire.

I do have a few more of the earlier Lightning's in the stash, so this could very well end up being another "Iron Werks" style build...

With Lightning's and Zero's and Betty's "Oh my"...

as always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I like the early P-38's, recently acquired a Hasegawa 1/72. If anyone could manage to do that trio shot I'm thinking Louis's iron werks can.