P-51D Mustang Tamiya – 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 94 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Solid progress and really great looks so far, my friend @coling!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great progress indeed, Colin @coling
    Good to see you are continuing this build.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros@fiveten . There will be more to see soon as I get some major painting done. I am trying to keep tedious description of the work process to a minimum these days. Hopefully future pics will reveal the beauty of the Vallejo Metal Color which I'm using these days (tiny bits applied so far as shown). Great stuff and very forgiving of mistakes and mishaps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John@johnb . I am glad you are enjoying it. I have two more Tamiya P-51s to do some day. This will be the first to work out all the challenges. Each one will proceed faster as a result.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Your attention to detail is awesome, Colin (@coling). My attention detail usually extends only as far as remembering to add the canopy to the plane. Looking forward to your next steps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George@gblair . Like I said, this kit positively demands attention to detail or else you could end up with an expensive mess. That said, I would heartily recommend it to anyone with enough time, patience and modeling materials on hand. It's the most finely engineered kit I have yet built, but has turned out to be quite a bit of fun.

I have been getting the last bits together this week and will post as soon after some significant parts are painted. Much more interesting to look at then too many further assembly shots. Meanwhile, I have done my Heinkel He-111 so that we will be in headlines soon. With so many projects going on, I want to actually share a finished model for a change! More soon. Thanks for watching and commenting.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Here is an update to a build I have left for a while - about 6 months on the shelf. This is the first big scale super-detailed Tamiya kit I have ever done. I usually like to do Hasegawa or Special Hobby in this scale, since they have a low parts count and go together quite quickly, with some finishing and scratch detailing to do to get the best result. The Tamiya P-51D is quite different. Engineering is extremely precise, so I have to be extra careful to remove parts from the tree and clean them up so that no gaps appear from over sanding or over trimming. Very slow work for me. Build sequence is also crucial so instructions need to be followed like scripture. I had some challenges getting the complex contents of the cockpit and engine bay all lined up precisely when things were closed up. Likewise, getting the wings on successfully with the complex flap mechanism was a headache in which I narrowly averted disaster from a misaligned part. It is not that this is a badly designed kit. It's just that it is unforgiving.

Anyway, I had put the build way when I got a bit spooked by how to handle all the panel detail around the engine and how to mask all of that for painting. This week, I found that I would need to use some spray metal to finish the prop and landing gear for my B5N Kate. The stuff is so expensive and tricky to use that I decided to finally get on with the P-51 and paint on the metal coat in the same session so not waste any metalizer.

So, first I trimmed and fitted all the engine panels for the P-51, carefully fixing all of the metal bits and remaining magnets. This finally gave me some clear ideas how to get this exterior painted without overspray on the exhaust stubs (which can't be removed) or engine detail. Thus, I decided I could leave just the two side panels off and mask the only exposed area left - which would make room to mask the exhaust stubs around that.

I haven't done the stub masking yet in the pics but this is the start I got. In masking the canopy, I realized I had to polish out the raised center line that results for the molding process. After some careful work with a sanding stick and Novus plastic polish, it looks good now. On to masking the hood next. Masking is a bit tedious, because you have to cut out each piece from the sheet by hand. These are not laser cut sections ala Eduard. Anyway, the sprues are almost empty now, so this is really coming along. Here is the overview. I should get some metal coat down this week and finally get this one done (fingers crossed).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Some very nice progress, Colin @coling
    Cutting the masks yourself is indeed not an easy task, but you are doing well.
    How is the fitting of the mask over the bubble top part, does it stick sufficiently.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. Tamiya provides numbered shaped strips to build up like mummy tape in overlapping layers so that you can cover the complex shape of the bubble canopy. I have had to add further strips of kabuki tape here and there around the edges to keep them sharp.

Some more photos show how I have now masked the exhaust stacks. After a bit more filling and sanding of joint lines I have discovered in the fuselage (using super glue), I will be ready for black primer and metal coat.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I missed the start of this one, Colin (@coling), but I am getting caught up now. Looks great. Interesting canopy masks that need a steady hand to cut out. I got the F-51D (which I am sure is very similar to this one) by Tamiya for Christmas and I am looking forward to building it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is your usual wonderful progress, my friend @coling! Would be better if Tamiya provided laser cut masks for sure.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great masking, Colin @coling

• Profile Photo

Thanks for commenting, George. Have fun with your F-51, these are beautiful models well worth the price and care in building. I am hoping my step-by-step posts on this complex build will be helpful to others. I have a couple more of these kits in my stash and the next two will be a lot easier. Figuring out how to paint things as you go can be a headache, but I have the sequence down now. Another thing is to not use quite as much glue on the delicate assembly around the engine. That can allow you to pry things apart here and there when things don't quite pop into place. The fit is superb in the end but a lot of things have to connect precisely all at once.

• Profile Photo

Got some major prep and painting done this week. These pics only show the underside coat of Vallejo acrylic surface primer but the upper fuselage is done as well. Overall, the primer went on very smooth.

This is a great Vallejo product and non-toxic. I only had to fix one panel on the side of the fuselage after a stringy bit of goop came through the airbrush (not seen in these pics). I have adjusted my airbrush choice and technique so as not to repeat that mistake (fingers crossed). Anyway, I stripped off all the dried primer from that panel with a toothpick and repainted it to the same flawless standard as the surrounding finish. Very forgiving paint, even with my frequent bad luck and clumsiness. Next time I could also just wipe off any lumps or hairs that might appear in the paint when still wet. This is easier and the finish still comes out clean if you are careful and quick. I am getting better at these acrylic metal finishes, managing to thin both primer and metalizer enough that the finish stays smooth and not to thick. You can see that I haven't lost any of Tamiya's super fine rivet detail where I have applied metalizer over the primer on some separate panels. Tomorrow I will flip the model, take more pics and shoot metalizer on the fuselage. I may do the upper wings, but I am not sure, since they will be covered with Olive Drab camo. Masking of the OD portions of the upper fuselage, white nose band and the D-Day stripes will be tricky in that I don't want to pull of any metal coat. Maximum use of paper with no glue and very low tack kabuki tape will be essential. Hope you like it so far.

• Profile Photo

I decided the primer was dry enough to flip over the model and take a couple more pics.

These show the work done on the main fuselage, using the black primer as the inside canopy frame color.