P-51D Mustang Tamiya – 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 94 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year ago:

Thanks, George@gblair, Spiros@fiveten and John@johnb . It was a bit hair-raising to flip the model yet again to get the final underside details done. So much at stake where one wrong move could make you drop the darn thing. Anyway, success! I got the drop tanks mounted, including my scatch-built fuel lines. These I enhanced with SUPER-thin strips of BMF, glued and twisted around the coupling at each end (to represent the bicycle clamp fasteners that held the rubber in place). I thought I was nuts for attempting it, but it actually worked. After crafting each line carefully, it was pretty tricky to fit the stretched sprue lines into the holes I had drilled in the tanks and wings, without messing anything up. Patience, a pair of good tweezers and a new visor helped. BTW, I did the metallic finish of the tubes With Rub n Buff, but I sealed this with a coat of Future so the metal wouldn't smudge when handled. That worked well. You will be able to see the result better of the tanks plus lines when I shoot the finished model but these are the pics for now at an awkward angle.

With the model upside down, I screwed in the landing gear, slid in the insert for the gear doors, which busied up the bays nicely and made sure everything lined up. I also added the navigation lights. So far, so good. Now wit the model upright again I will do the twin Spitfire-style mirrors. Only one of this style came with the kit, so I sourced the second from another kit. I will use the extra "mirror" material left over from my Centauro build. These mirrors are great - expensive if used on only the one kit, but I have use the spares over and over on many projects and they are very handy when punched out or cut to size. I am making use of my punch and die set to get exactly the right size and shape for each mirror. So, if all goes well, the next posting will be in headlines. Looking forward to getting this one done.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

The additional pipes and tubing looks great, Colin (@coling). All your extra effort is really making a big difference.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Gorgeous results so far, my friend @coling! I was amazed by your BMF extra thins, among others. Looking awesome!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Very impressive work on the pipes, Colin @coling
    Definitely worth all the extra work you did on this.