P-51D Mustang Tamiya – 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 94 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

The primer looks great, Colin @coling
    Good to see that the rivets are still visible. Vallejo does have quite some nice paints on the market these days.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing job so far, my friend @coling!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks, John. I never liked the toxicity of metalizers. When this acrylic line came out I couldn't wait to try it. Works exactly as advertised.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. More to come soon.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage sides and undersides now sprayed with metal color. I have a few touch-ups to do under the tail and inside the flaps when dropped. For now I am working on the first of the masks I will use to spray on the OD for the upper fuselage. Once again, very careful planning is involved. I have to create an absolutely precise set of curves and cutaway notches so that the decals can be fitted later on - including star and bars and codes. You may recall how tightly the camo is painted around the insignia and codes.

I am making the masks using tracing paper for now. The codes and national markings are not together on the decal sheet. So, I have to line everything up, trace around each component and then fit the masking paper strip to the fuselage to make sure everything will be in the right place. Very tedious but necessary. I will get only one try at painting this camo, given the difficulty of reapplying metal coat once the OD is sprayed over top of it. I may retrace the masking yet again on frisket film, if I can find my stash of it. I don't want to use too much masking tape to hold down the mask for fear of lifting the metal color so frisket film might adhere better without damaging the finish. The metal coat has cured for a week now and I hope it will resist getting pulled off, but you never know. More stencils to do on the other side, yet. Finally, I will mask the whole fuselage with silly putty to do the OD on the wings. Wish me luck!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@coling - glad to see another Vallejo convert. Not only does it not stink, it won't eat your model.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing painting approach and superb result so far, my friend @coling!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

It will turn out great this way, Colin @coling
    Quite some extra work but defintely worth it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great idea for planning the upper camo over the NMF, Colin @coling. I have struggled finding a simple way to do the same thing. Now I have a good way to do it. I hate natural metal finishes, and have avoided them for a long time. I have recently been using Vallejo metals to start working toward a completely NMF. I really like them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the feedback on AV Metal Color, Tom. I hope the growing community of enthusiasts will keep them producing the stuff.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Good to know you're following this one still. Every aspect of this model is a planning challenge. Fingers crossed it will all work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. I am trying to keep up the momentum on this one, even though it remains fiddly to finish. I thought I would start with an easier scheme by choosing a partially OD version! It turns out the all-metal subjects will be easier because so much in the way of color details is provided through decals. I may well do Pierce McKennon's Ridge Runner next, which only had the red nose and canopy and is otherwise all decal work over metal coat.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George @gblair. I have now transferred all the stenciling details to frisket film. The stuff I have in my stash is 20 years old but still works perfectly - at least in the experiments I tried over the metal coat. It has just enough tack to stay down when hit with the airbrush - much better than tracing paper, which needs masking tape. I will post pics of how it works after I retouch the metal coat and lay on the frisket. Maybe I will also wait till I spray the OD to insure that it is successful. Like you I hated metal finishes and avoided them for years - the only exception being my Bare Metal Foil-covered CF-104, which was a whole different challenge.

• Profile Photo

Here is the latest progress on the labor-intensive P-51D. I finished cutting the wave pattern in the frisket film and test fitted it to the fuselage still with paper backing.

I had to remove quite a bit of masking and fit the engine cover panels at this stage in painting. Then I finally laid the frisket down. It is so thin and clear that it is practically invisible unless the light catches it just right. I made sure it was secure with bits of masking tape here and there. Final masking to do the upper fuselage OD was done with paper, tape and silly putty to cover any areas not masked by the frisket film. I applied Gunze US Olive Drab No. 1 - my favorite shade of OD for WW II aircraft. The results were pretty successful. The only area where I lost metal coat was the starboard side of the vertical stabilizer. I made the mistake of using too much masking tape on that part. Sigh. I will have to strip those sections down to plastic and redo them. No big deal, just time consuming and fiddly. Next up will be the OD on the wings. I plan to mask the work I have done on the fuselage as necessary with paper and silly putty. I don't want any more damage to the metal areas. I will do post shading with Chris Wauchop's method, using dilute Tamiya Smoke and lightened shades of the OD here and there. Never done this before but it seems the best way to avoid all the handling that could come from clear coats and oil washes. Got to deal with this bare metal stuff very carefully. I stuck the unfinished prob assembly on with silly putty. Silly maybe, but I find it is motivating to get an idea what this will look like in the end by adding the prop. Got to avoid losing energy on this project even with all the little jobs and setbacks to cope with.

• Profile Photo

Adding a couple more pics to show exhaust stacks with masking removed.

Looks quite a bit more finished that way.