P-51D Mustang Tamiya – 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 94 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Thanks, Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb . To answer your question, John, Windex is indeed the well-known window cleaner that I use to strip acrylic paint and also to clean my airbrush. It is very mild and conveniently soapy and doesn't smell bad or present a toxic hazard like isopropyl alcohol, which some use for clean up of acrylics. Windex, hand soap and tap water are what I use to clean my airbrush, paint mixing bottles and brush bristles.

So today, things are coming along with the build. I got more done on details like the landing gear assembly and mounts for the drop tanks.

For some reason I find work on undercarriage a bit boring and the assembly and painting process for the P-51 gear is quite complex, with photoetch and plastic components to sort out. I am glad the process is done now. Since I wanted to use metalizer on all parts, that meant sanding and polishing very carefully to remove seams, mold lines, etc. before painting. Wheel hubs were painted inside and out before assembly as the open design allows a view of the interior of the hub. I also cleaned up and painted the resin tires from Barracuda Cast. I gave them a coat of Tamiya Flat Black to get shadows, followed by an overspray of Tamiya Rubber Black . Painting of all metal components, including gear doors as well as struts required black primer before the semi-matte aluminum coat, masking of all parts in interior green to avoid overspray. Since most gear doors had already been painted on the outside, I had to mask those areas to spray the inside. I made more use of silly putty to do this and also to mask interior green areas. There were also a few details of actuator arms still to be done in interior green. All the gear bits will be assembled tomorrow after the paint is fully dry.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Superb job all over, my friend @coling! Happens to me a build phase to be at cases boring.
    Thanks for the tips for cleaning the airbrush and accessories (and thanks to our friend @johnb for asking), as I am reluctantly moving to acrylics.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Beautiful work on the landing gear, Colin @coling.
    Thanks for the explenation, seems like Windex can be used for nearly everything, I'm surely going to give it a try.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great looking metallics, Colin (@coling). Your work with the metallic paints gives me hope for my B-25. Good luck, Spiros (@fiveten), converting to acrylics. Probably the most painful thing I have ever done, but the cleanup makes it all worthwhile.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros, John and George. I am learning a lot about these acrylic metallics as I go. Today's upload illustrates some extra work that needs to be done along the way to keep them looking good. I started doing some decaling on the undersides, namely the black ID stripes that need to line up with the white ones on top. I discovered that Micro Sol, a relatively mild setting solution, tends to dissolve acrylic metalizer that hasn't had a protective clear coat. Not drastic melting, but just enough to cause some smudging on the black strips.that I will fix later. After that experience, I made sure I put a thin layer of Tamiya Clear over all metal areas to receive decals. That solved the issue of Micro Sol attacking the finish. I also found that some loose metalized parts that I had handled a fair bit along the way had darkened. These received a new coat of metal to brighten them up, followed by a Tamiya Clear coat. The most serious case was the rudder. It needed a lot of handling to get it to connect to the the vertical stabilizer via three tiny photo etch pieces. I don't like Tamiya's decision to go with this mechanism, which is like Trumpeter engineering.

I thought I would loose my grip on the model and wreck something as I tried to insert all three tiny mounting tabs at the same time. Anyway, it finally worked, but I had to get out the putty masking snakes to repaint the rudder in semi-matt aluminum when already connected to the model. BTW, it doesn't need the recommended CA glue to stay on. The etch bits fit so tightly that it is securely in place with friction. Good thing too, since the idea of putting CA glue on the etch and have it all freeze up on me when not fully inserted was quite worrisome. Bad engineering! While I repainted the rudder in metalizer, I also did the drop tanks with an nice dense coat of aluminum. So many fiddly jobs to do now with the sprues almost completely empty. After clear coating the OD segments (and later the metal ones as well), I did a thorough oil pin wash all over with three blends of oil paint - dark brown for panel lines and rivets, lighter brown and tan for grime and streaking applied with random dots smudged in the direction of airflow. I wanted fairly heavy grime in the white areas behind the prop but less emphasis of rivets and panel lines on the white ID stripes. It was the next day that I started decaling, namely the aforementioned black ID stripes and national insignia underneath and some stenciling (to be completed later on). I got the national insignia on the upper port wing and am still in the process of getting it all to settle down with Micro Sol. Small decals were attached to the prop blades. I will do the squadron and tail codes on the fuselage sides tomorrow when the clear coat is fully cured. After that will be the stencils and kill markings on the port side of the fuselage. The main fuselage insignia are yet another unique challenge of this kit. I need to remove the canopy and its masks to assemble the sliding mechanism inside. That is the only way I can glue in the fuselage insert, which is the "cap" for the slider mechanism. Meanwhile, the same insert needs to be permanently glued down as the backing for the national insignia decal. Once again the kit engineering greatly complicates the painting process. Anyway, at this point I am temporarily mounting the prop and spinner to motivate me to get this project done. It really completes the lines of the P-51 and gives a hint of how this will all come together. Also, it is nice to see the engine detail with the panels off. One can forget that there is a whole detailed engine hiding under there. I did a lot of work on the side panels to show scorching and soot build up on the panel adjoining the exhaust. I did this with very thinned Tamiya smoke and an oil wash with the panel removed. This is how the weathered panel looks in place. Other panels just had the oil pin wash. For more fiddly painting ahead, I will have to extend the invasion stripe pattern over a bunch of small parts connected to the supercharger blow out doors. That's it for now. Hopefully this is interesting. Maybe I can get this done this week, but I don't know how I will approach having to unmasking the canopy prematurely, more complex painting and re-masking ahead, I think

• Profile Photo

Great progress and absolutely superb looks so far, my friend @coling! Indeed, the engineering looks at places overly (and, maybe, unnecessarily) complicated, nothing your supreme skills cannot tackle of course. Very interesting remarks on Micro Sol and metalizer interaction.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Impressive progress, Colin @coling
    I can imagine the stressful moment you had with the tabs on the rudder, it looks very good now.
    Decals do look perfect, they seem to settle down quite nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros and John. Last night I finally took the canopy off to add the slider mechanism. Lots of ugly interior masking had kept out the overspray very well.

I removed it since there is only a matt coat to do now. Realizing that the edges of the rear deck inside should have been black instead of interior green, I repainted this carefully. There was no need to remove the canopy masking after all, since the slider attached very simply and I didn't need to inspect it from above through the clear hood. With the fuselage insert now glued in, I slid the canopy closed again and got to the major decaling done today. It was very satisfying to see how well the national insignia nestled inside the boundaries of the invasion stripes. Careful prep had paid off! In general I was a bit perfectionist about lining everything up at this nerve-wracking decaling stage. This meant doing some VERY delicate surgery to completely redo one slightly misaligned code with decal sliced from other codes in the sheet. I did the first few decals with ample Micro Sol before I found it was eating through even the clear coat a tiny bit. Almost no harm done that I couldn't fix invisibly. Anyway the Eagle Cals didn't really need the decal solvent so ended up doing most work without the stuff. Everything looks good to me for now. Taking a lunch break before stenciling and underside work on the blower doors and fuel tank pylons. After seeing what John did in 1/48, I will have to add fuel lines from the pylons to the tanks. On with the work. Hope you like the progress today.

• Profile Photo

A real perfectionist's job, my friend @coling! Looking awesome!

• Profile Photo

Amazing result, Colin @coling
    Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, however it can make things difficult if they don't turn out the way you want to.
    In case of this Mustang everything turned out perfectly. For sure you will get those fuel lines done nicely as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Results look great, Colin (@coling). I have had MicroSol/Set eat into the paint a couple of times, but I think it was because I didn't give the clear layer sufficient time to dry completely. I now give the clear coat at least 24 hours to dry, and more time if it is humid.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year ago:

Thanks, Spiros@fiveten, John@johnb and George@gblair . I was quite busy with work this week and so making very slow, careful progress on the P-51. The last bits are always slow. I got a final gloss coat on the decals to seal them and then did a matt coat. I am trying to leave the MM Acryl Flat coat behind as my bottle is getting old and the finish it leaves is deteriorating. I therefore switched to Gunze Matt Clear, thinned about 5 to 1 with Tamiya thinner and Retarder. The effects were just what I wanted in the end. It remains semi matte over the Tamiya Clear and nice and smooth. I have great trust in Gunze generally and it didn't let me down. I do have a couple of different Vallejo clear coats coming in the mail (since many have recommended Vallejo), but I decided Gunze would do it this time after experimenting with a test model. So, with the final coat on, I decided to remove the canopy masks. I really like this part of the build and the masks worked well. There was a tiny bit of overspray that got under under part of the mask for the windscreen. I have always found that the best way to get rid of this is with a fingernail as anything as hard as a toothpick can scratch the transparency. For the first time I decided to do this with a tiny sharp piece of finger nail paring chucked in a pin vice.

That gave me maximum precision and control but preserved the gentleness of the fingernail material to gently scrap way the acrylic paint. That may be a bit gross to some, but I figure no worse than using human hair for rigging or radio antenna wire. Here are the overall pics wit the masks off

I got the main undercarriage totally assembled and weathered the resin wheels with raw umber pastel to simulate dirt build-up in the diamond tread.

The main gear doors still needed a tiny little piece and stencil decal and I finally got that job done. The tail wheel insert, which attaches with a magnet, fit poorly (odd for Tamiya!) and I needed to do quite a bit of careful filing and sanding around the opening so it would slide in tightly. Meanwhile, I had completed all the D-Day stripe work on the air scoop components and had to avoid damaging this paintwork in the process. I am now working on the drop tanks. The fuel lines are quite a bit simpler for a P-51D with 75 gallon tanks than on John's P-51B Shangri-La with bigger tanks. However, am taking the time to add details to the line to show coupling joints. 1/32nd kind of demands that extra detail. I decided to use both stretched sprue and fine styrene rod. I made the joints from scotch tape strips. I carefully glue one end of the tape strip to the rod with super glue. When this is dry, I wrap the tape around the rod to make the thickness of the coupling. Hopefully this will look convincing when it it painted and mounted. I will attach the fuel line to the tanks before I mount them and then attach the lines to the underside of the wing when the the tanks are firmly glued on. Good thing I found excellent photos and drawings on line to show how the lines looked and worked. I also learned that they were made of glass, so the would break easily when the tanks were jettisoned - something new to me. So, finally, I am going to let the matt coat fully cure before I flip the model tomorrow to attach the tanks, landing gear and gear doors. There are a couple of detail bits to glue on for the canopy hood, some wing tip lights, landing light and pitot tubes and then I should be done. Hopefully I can get this in headlines this weekend.

That's it for now. I might add pics of the drop tanks later when I get the fuel lines done.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

All of your patience in building is certainly paying off, Colin (@coling). I keep trying different clear coats trying to find the perfect one, but I tend to keep coming back to Tamiya Clear Gloss and Flat. AK Real Colors also have a clear that I like.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Superb progress, my friend @coling!oved the nail approach!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Those fuel pipes will look amazing, Colin @coling