P51 times two. FINISHED.

Started by Erik Gjørup · 112 · 1 year ago · airbum, Eduard, Haldværk, ICM, Mustang, mustang mk iii, P51, p51c, p51d, RAF, Revell, USAF
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

RAF Mustangs were dark green/"ocean" grey over "medium ocean" grey. These are more or less the colours you've chosen, my friend @airbum.
    I would stay with them. They look nice and "right".

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Splendid link George (@gblair), Thank you!

Spiros (@fiveten, Thank you.

Been out all day, but with your inspiring comments my friends, I have removed the masks, will probably do some corrections on the stripes and all, and then a picture or two ready tomorrow. (the colors look a lot brighter with the masks off)

• Profile Photo

Invasion!

- or at least invasion stripes

The masks came off, and I got out in the sun for a few pictures. (far to hot for me to stay outdoors, let alone work in the jungle that used to be my garden)

It does look a lot brighter in full sun.

And this will leave this one alone for a while as I decide if I want some gloss clear to even the high edges from the masking, or it is some fine sanding that will do the trick – perhaps both?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks awesome. Invasion stripes are evil to paint, and you have done them perfectly. Paint ridges are tough. I have never had much luck trying to sand them away and usually end up having to repaint after my sanding efforts. I seldom have paint ridges anymore since I have been using Tamiya and AK Real Colors. They are dense enough that they can go on thin. They usually aren't gloss, but the gloss coat that goes on later doesn't leave any ridges. Good luck with the paint ridges. Let us know how it comes out.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George (@gblair), I'll let you know what happens. I seem to dislike matt and acrylic in the airbrush, but I suppose it is just me in need of some learning. My "local" paintpusher got some AK generation 3 that I will try. If it is half as good as advertised it will be OK for me, but local means 95KM away, so it will be a while before I get there again. Regarding sanding the striperidges, I think I will let it all cure for minimum a week, and most likely a lot longer, then I will have a go at it. Now, there is the Eduard P-51 that has been neglected for too long. . . . .

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good! I also like the fastback Pony's better, especially with a Malcolm hood.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks very impressive indeed, my friend @airbum!
    I go for a clear coat first, to act as a smoothened AND a protective layer, and afterwards a VERY subtle high grit spotsanding. Thus, you may have a chance to even the annoying edges without damaging the paintwork

• Profile Photo

Thank you @gkittinger and @fiveten.

Sounds like the way to go Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Decals on the P51 C Mustang Mk III!

Decals finally on!

With a few moments to spare now and then I managed to get the decals on. These Revell Decals are extremely thick, and even after 4 rounds of solvents they resisted going into the panellines etc.

A few cuts here and there, and it looks ok but will need some touchups

I also got to prime the spinner and blades.

And now it only needs the last bits and pieces.

Perhaps it will be time for the eduard P-51 again soon – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @airbum!
    I know what you mean by "thick Revell decals"...keep solventing and the occasional cutting do the trick (prayng for them not to disintegrate, of course).

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friend. Cutting has been involved, more may be needed as there are one or two decals that didn't get the message. I think I'm now on to the 6th round of "Sol" on some of them Spiros (@fiveten)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This Mustang is really looking sweet, Erik (@airbum). The paint and decals are perfect. Maybe you should shift from 109s to Mustangs?

• Profile Photo

Now now - you may have to wash your mouth with soap young man!

George (@gblair), stranger things has happened, but with this one and the eduard P-51, I think it will be it for the forseeable future. (or, perhaps one for the Korea GB?. . . . or a Zirkus Rosarius version. . . .)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I think my next Mustang will be one from the Air National Guard postwar. Of course, there were a lot of foreign postwar users, especially Sweden and various South and Central American countries. Lots of cool paint schemes.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Too many models, too little time...

...but so great to see happy modelers AND firends!
    @airbum and @gblair