Polikarpov Po-2 1/48 ICM-Eduard, post-war civil version, Hungary - FINISHED

Started by Csaba · 222 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I love digging into the details and history of a plane. Sometimes you can find really interesting things about a particular type, and that’s what really got me into this hobby, long time ago.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 2 months ago:

It definitely helps!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good, Csaba!
    Love that rngine!
    Your comparisons between the two kits bring up some interesting results!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Finally received the MMP Books Po-2 plans. I found it on Amazon marketplace in used, but good condition for 6 EUR, and placed an order. However, I quickly realized my mistake, when the confirmation e-mail showed "shipped by Royal Mail". Ups, UK. That comes from outside the EU now. 🙂
    After a quick check I found out that the 6 EUR price was still below the bargain limit still valid in Denmark until summer, so I patiently waited, until one day I got a letter from the Danish postal service, asking me to pay a modest 24 EUR fee for custom administration and local VAT. Luckily I managed to convince them that they made a mistake, and my very valuable book finally arrived today, without paying anything extra.
    The book is somewhat disappointing, it is a very simple set of three-view drawings in the 3 different main scales, but there are no cross-sections or a scale ruler next to the drawings. In this form, the book offers limited value to the modelers.
    My wife quickly made a joke that I bought a nice airplane-themed coloring book for the kids, but actually, she was not too far from the truth. 🙂

Also, note for myself - double-check the location of Amazon marketplace sellers in the future.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Pity that your book came short of your expectations, Csaba!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

These "Scale Plans" do indeed dissapoint when you are used to some info in magazines - I did buy one or two, but only opened them once as I have no kids to use them for coloring 😉

I did ask eBay if it was possible to exclude UK from searches, but no replu so far. It is a real problem in the EU these days, and a major UK shop simply has stopped shipping to EU for now. Brave new times. . . .

• by the way, the tax and VAT thing goes for Norway too here in Denmark - so you have to check that one as well when buying online!
  • Profile Photo

Spiros, I did not have high expectations for 6 EUR, but actually my main reference from the 1980s shows more information and detail than a "modern" set of drawings. That´s the real disappointment for me. I have the 1:72 scale ICM kit as well (the older, few years old release, not the brand new one), and I want to modify that a bit. This is more like a standard out-of-the box + Eduard etched parts build.

It´s a shame about the British stores Erik, there are many fantastic sites, especially for books.

On the build side - I started cleaning up the parts, and plan the build, but these weeks are exceptionally busy at work. The current restrictions force me to mix office work and home office, while taking care of two small ones. Well, not the best setup for a build, but I need some time for myself as well in these crazy days.

• Profile Photo

Good that you started parts and general project preparation @pikofix! My build setup is not that much different than yours, with two very young boys to take of, among others...
    Finding time slots for airbrushing is amost interesting process... 🙂

• Profile Photo

I managed to do the first real step, filling the opening on the bottom wing. It was used as bombsight, but actually I did not find any references explaining how exactly this method worked.
    Anyway, it was not there on the usual, trainer configured Po-2s. ICM provides two parts to cover this opening, but not the wooden strips on the top side. Luckily I managed to find an almost perfect match in my Evergreen stash. I had to use a tiny bit of epoxy putty to fill the gap. Final sanding must wait until next time.

Yep Spiros, airbrushing is the most challenging part, currently all of our rooms all used, so my home office desk/man cave/family pc workstation is basically the same thing, a corner in the living room, separated by a large bookshelf. I really have to plan and prepare airbrushing sessions, usually on the weekend late evenings, painting as many part as possible at the same time.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice catch on those wooden strips, Csaba!
    Those small details make a big difference.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nicely done, Csaba.
    Life of a modeller is not that easy 🙂 .
    Time and space are always a difficulty.

• Profile Photo

Baby steps, just as my kids are doing it.

I managed to fill and sand the lower wings. The bomb sight "box" and the mounting point of the landing light got filled with plastic parts. The sanding was tricky, because the wing has very delicate fabric imitation. I hope it will look ok under a coat of Mr. Surfacer. It will take a while to find a timeslot for that, since the levelling thinner and surfacer is not a good combination to atomize when other family members are around. I have a proper mask for these type of solvents, but I really don´t want them to get close to this stuff. So, I have to wait patiently for a day, when everyone is out... Luckily I have a few other details to work on.

I printed out the reference photos, and made a few measurements. It seems that the left wing had wider walkways, but it was not a full two rib width. I am not even sure if the usual wooden strips were used there. It seems that PAX had some kind of flat, solid cover on the wings. However, it is hard to say it based on the low resolution, old photos. I will stick to the most commonly used material, wooden strips.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Baby steps but with precision, Csaba.
    Great research work.

• Profile Photo

Nice closure of the bomb sight, @csaba! It takes excellent skills, like yours, to achieve such great result with the surrounding fabric.
    Great research, indeed, as our friend John pointed out.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Intricate details, but well worth the effort!