Polikarpov Po-2 1/48 ICM-Eduard, post-war civil version, Hungary - FINISHED

Started by Csaba · 222 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

All of this prep will pay real results later. Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Another baby step, filling ejection pin marks and the entry footholds. It seems that none of the post-war Hungarian planes had those. In fact, I can’t recall seeing those footholds on any Po-2. Some of the drawings show them in different shapes and sizes, but I was unable to spot them on the photos. A small amount of white Milliput and my cheap set of sculpting tools did the job. Final sanding is to be done later, maybe this weekend.

I bought the Eduard photo etched set as well, but to be honest my feelings are mixed. First of all, the harnesses are sold as a different set! These used to be a default part of such sets earlier. Luckily, I will be able to use the parts from the old Eduard kit.
    Some of the photo etched parts are pretty much useless. Not everything is two dimensional in the real world. I don’t want to do a super detailed build (there is not too much detail in the cockpit anyway), but I have to decide whether I use the flat and fragile metal parts, or make my own version.

Yes guys, preparation is the key. 🙂 I hope I will not ruin it with a terrible paint job.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking great, my friend @pikofix!
    You are right about the PEs, they can be a hit or a miss, not all of them are practically useable and some of them look unrealistic in 2D. I remember building a Fonderie-Miniature quarterscale Griffon, where the kit depended a lot in PE for the small parts: well, the PE side pitots were totally unrealistic...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice tool! I suppose it has to be expected with a plane built is such high numbers and living a long life, there are so many differencies to be found. Especially on an easy to change construction as the Po-2. I like the baby-step update style, so you just keep them coming 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A very nice step-by-step guide is always handy, Csaba.
    And I agree with our friend Spiros, some PE parts are a great addition to the build but unfortunately some are better to leave out.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Ditto on all of the above comments. Photoetch can be a double-edged sword. I have reached an age where folding and gluing PE that can hardly be seen is an exercise in frustration. I have also found that sometimes the photoetch doesn't really add much to the model. Look forward to the rest of the build, Csaba.

• Profile Photo

Unfortunately I did not have too much time over the weekend. One more week at work, and I will have time off for a few weeks, I hope I will have a bit time for this kit.
    I sanded the fillings made last time, and assembled a few small parts. I also looked at the engines, again. It seems that there is quite a difference between the Eduard and ICM engines. ICM made the engine much smaller than Eduard , and I have no idea which one is correct. I have to find a drawing of the actual M-11 engine to get the correct measurements.
    It is always interesting to compare multiple manufacturers, sometimes the difference between the same parts is shocking. I remember once we made a comparison of MiG-21MF ejection seats from three different, well known aftermarket manufacturers. Everything was different, the basic dimensions, proportions, details...

I forgot to mention that I bought the bundle release with the mechanics and pilots. I found it for the same price as the normal boxing, and well, why not to take the free candy, right? I don’t want to build a diorama, but the figures will be great for painting exercises. The figures are from an older ICM kit. There will be a little bit of cleanup needed, but otherwise the figures are excellent for this scale.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great @pikofix!
    Psychologically (!), the Eduard engine looks to have an edge, but one cannot know unless he measures and compares...

• Profile Photo

Found the diameter of the engine in a 1952 flying magazine. A whole series was published about the M-11 engine, so now I know all of the oil temperatures, magneto types and other weird technical data. If you ever wondered, the oil temperature is 40C at the inlet, and maximum 100C at the outlet. The fuel pump type is BNL-12A and it is driven by a 0,74 ratio reduction drive. 🙂

So, back to modelling - the diameter of the engine is 1075mm, which is 22,4mm in 1:48 scale. Now, how to understand diameter? Another article used the term "width", while giving the same 1075mm data.
    If I measure it as diameter (imagine a circle covering the engine) , the ICM engine is correct, if I measure it as width (the distance between two sides of the engines), the Eduard engine is spot on. The 1:48 scale drawings from the Scale Plans book fit the ICM engine.
    The Eduard engine looks more detailed, especially because of the cooling fins. However, it requires a small surgery, since it does not fit on the ICM fuselage. It also looks a bit "fat" compared to the reference photos.
    I think I will assembly and paint both of the engines, and see which looks better on the finished model.

• Profile Photo

Preparing both will definitely reveal the one that looks best, Csaba.
    Each of them has its own preferences, difficult to decide yet which is the best.

• Profile Photo

Regardless of your final choice, I loved your research and foundings, my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Technically it would make sense to use Diameter as a term for installation to enable a cowling to fit. width is no good to use - especially on a five-cylinder engine. Good basic research!

• Profile Photo

Other baby step. Made a very simple firewall, no details at all, just to simply block the light going through the fuselage. The carburetor intake will hide most of the opening anyway.
    Also made the valve rods from Evergreen. Oversized, but better defined than the original parts. Eduard provided parts on the photo etched sheet, but it is a flat part. You can try to make them more three dimensional with thick paint, but it won’t be the same as a rod.

Yes Erik, diameter makes more sense. I got also surprised to see the term “width” defined for a radial engine. After all, it seems that ICM got the sizes correct.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

All your baby steps come along real nice, Csaba.

• Profile Photo

Nice beby steps, Csaba. The rods look very nice!