RAAF F-4E Phantom II

Started by Michael Turner · 49 · 6 hours ago · 1/48, f-4, Phantom, RAAF, Zoukei-Mura
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 week, 5 days ago:

I may have misled in a previous post. The camo scheme is the standard USAF South East Asia (SEA) scheme of a dark green, medium green and tan. The black is just the undercoat.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Looks great, Michael (@michaelt). When I first joined the Air Force, I would see F-4s in Vietnam camo all the time. Did you free-hand the camo? What brand of paints did you use for the metallic?

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 week, 5 days ago:

G'day George (@gblair),

If you look back, the paints are Gunze Aqueous and I sprayed the camo free hand.

I have since gone back and tidies up a few bits, including fixing an error on the right side.

I also realised that the rod antenna behind the cockpit was not on the RAAF aircraft.

This is an SST-181X rendezvous beacon that was used by the USAF during the Vietnam War (but was later removed) and this would not have been installed on the RAAF jets.

So this was belatedly removed and repainted as well.

The metallics on the 1/72 kit are Mr Colour SM 205 Super Titanium and SM 204 Super Stainless 2 with an overspray of Vellajo 77.713 Jet Exhaust.

I will use these on the bigger jet too, but will look to add other paints, I think.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Your freehand camo came out very well, Michael (@michaelt). Mine never comes out looking so nice, so I usually rely on masks of some sort. I don't remember seeing the rod antenna on all F-4Es. I think only a few had the modification, but the memory gets fuzzy at times. I forgot you had previously talked about the Gunze paints on this model. I don't like NMF, but I am slowly getting more comfortable with it and I am always looking to see what people use to get their great results. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Mostly a bunch of small stuff yesterday and today.

I glued the drop tanks together - by far the best fitting tanks I’ve ever built. Normally I end up with a flattened seam after filling and sanding but these fit together so well there was only a light sanding required - and a round cross section maintained.

The two stabilising brackets sit clear of the wing undersurface. A bit of research reveals that there are stabilising pins into the wing and that the pylon hangs slightly clear of the wing. So, I added three very short peices of rod.

I also drilled and pinned the SUU-20 practis bomb dispenser to one of the pylons.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Nice progress on the small stuff, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Excellent, detaled job, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Working on the 1/72 Phantom.
    This is one decal that had to fit over multiple bumps and sharp edges.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 week, 2 days ago:

And half of the rest done. There will be silvering…

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Great job so far, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Looks great, Michael @michaelt
    The largest decal I have ever seen, definitely a challenge to get it done nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 5 days, 17 hours ago:

I masked and painted the red turbine warning stripe. I don’t like long thin decals.

The decals I bought are ALPS printed and the whites look very thin and transparent - multiple copies are supplied so you can double up. So, I decided to cut masks for these and the roundels, too.

I had to adjust the camouflage on the right side of the fin to match photos in order to get the aircraft number in the right position. Even after copying the decal size, I thing the numbers are a little too big.

The white circles are for the roundels with the blue outer ring and red kangaroo to come.

I will use the decal serial numbers, so not a complete waste.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 days, 16 hours ago:

Excellent painting skills, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 5 days, 12 hours ago:

The camouflage came out great Michael (@michaelt). A nice mottling effect shows through giving the model a great weathered effect. I hope when I do my Meng Phantom II in the future, it comes out this nice.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 7 hours ago:

Warning stripes look very good, Michael @michaelt