RAAF F-4E Phantom II

Started by Michael Turner · 53 · 2 days ago · 1/48, f-4, Phantom, RAAF, Zoukei-Mura
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 week, 3 days ago:

G’day Carl (@clipper),
    Instead of pre-shading, I used a black undercoat and then “coloured in” the panels with a circular/squiggle spray pattern that gave an uneven fill. Hopefully it still has that effect after the clear coats.
    I tried this first on my Avenger.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 5 days, 23 hours ago:

I deopped the kit while airbrushing a couple of weeks ago and the port trailing edge wing tip broke off. By some miracle, I managed to find the peice and re-attach it.
    Today I was fixing a few small parts of the camouflage when I noticed that the part was missing again. So, I cut and shaped the tip off the spare fin tip and superglued it in place.

Just as well as we gained a 1 month extension to the group build competition!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 days, 20 hours ago:

Great remedy, my friend @michaelt! Great extension to the group, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 16 hours ago:

Should hold it this way, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 days, 23 hours ago:

Nice recovery from the dropped model, Michael @michaelt. Your floors must be softer than mine. I have tried your technique of starting with a black undercoat and really like some of the effects you can get with it.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 days, 8 hours ago:

G’day Grorge (@gblair),

It bounced off a not so soft stone bench and down onto a wooden deck. I found the wing tip peice amongst the clutter on the outside bench that I airbrush on. The only other damage was a minor dent to the other wing leading edge that was easily delt with.

Luckily no other small peices were damaged or broke off.

I am intersted in how you are going with the black undercoat technique. Post some pictures.

I find that when I just did panel line shading, they sometimes showed as texture as well as colour. I think this method eliminates that while giving perhaps a bit more control.

And it undercoats the paint, which I never used to do.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 days, 3 hours ago:

Wing tip repaired…

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 days, 18 hours ago:

A perfect repair, Michael @michaelt
    No signs of previous damage.