Reggiane 2000 1.ª Serie: Special Hobby

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 50 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

After a long busy work week I finally managed to resume a bit of model time.

All that is to be painted and assembled before joining the fuselage halves is completed, so next update will focus the main assemblies of the kit

Here’s how it turned out:

Cockpit

The Piaggio engine

U/C legs

The propeller- which is not the best part of the kit for sure!

The pre and post assembled parts that compose the tail wheel

I painted all undercarriage components in Azzurro Suballare

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I just read your build journal again from the very beginning to where you are now. I commend you on your painting skills. You have the weathering and chipping techniques down to a science. I will definitely be using your build journal as a guide when I start building mine.

Nice work my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Really nice for sure!

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - Thank you for the kind words my friend. Been ages since I tackled an Italian aircraft, so the whole paint affair is to me a sort of “out of comfort zone” experience, but in a good way. It’s a fun short run kit, I’m quite sure you’ll build it well and fast 😉

@mvtb - Thank you for the supportive comment, obrigado Marcus 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Awesome progress, Pedro.
    Paintwork is indeed very nice, like mentioned by Louis.
    The propellor cone is already revealing a small part of the awe some scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@holzhamer - your painting and weathering technique for the cockpit is absolutely masterful. Like @lgardner, I will be using this post as a guide when I do my J20. Really amazing work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Yep, I so agree with all Gents above, my friend @holzhamer: spotless painting and weathering, truly master's job, a joy to watch!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Let me add my agreement to the others, Pedro (@holzhamer). Paint and weathering are awesome.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Just catching up on your Reggiane 2000, Pedro. Really fine work. Your use of washes and careful paintwork really brings out the detail beautifully. You don't see too many builds of this particular aircraft online. This will be great to follow.

• Profile Photo

I truly appreciate all your positive (very positive if I may add) comments on the work so far gentleman 🙂

I managed to glue the fuselage halves last night and this morning went to see how they turned out

The short run nature of the kit revealed itself on the cockpit placing. The instructions are somewhat vague so I believe the method SH advises is not the best one, but it was the one I followed. The rear wheel well fits really good with minimal glue application, but the cockpit tube was a bit of a struggle, the first attempt resulted in splitting the side parts from the cockpit floor.

After getting them back together I proceeded by glueing the tube to the left side wall, using my MK.1 eyeball to determine best position and angles. Perhaps because my Mk.1 was not very well calibrated I found the joining the halves was a tad difficult on the forward section where a nasty gap required some muscle to be tamed to conformity. I usually only use Liquid glue (Tamyia green cap bottle) but for the lower front I had to resort to CA, a portion of which spilled to the kit surface, but that did solved the issue of the gap.

As you can see (and I believe as consequence of the poor cockpit tube positioning) the halves are not evenly joined despite my care during glue application. They must have moved before the plastic completely dried up. This means some sanding and rescribing, nothing too serious.

The engine cowl, already with a second Mr Surfacer application on the gaps, is dry fitted and as you can see it’s a great fit, no issues whatsoever. The thinned walls of the cowl flaps paid off and gives a good sense of scale thickness.

The rear canopy is also finally ready, after a first putty session, sanding and painting, where I came to see that the plastic showed other imperfections besides the hole in it. So more putty, sanding and now ready for the final interior green coat. To get a good placement of this part I can tell you some pressure will be required, especially since I use white glue that has a slow drying time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Those issues are to be expected in limited run kits (at least the "older school" ones), my friend @holzhamer, but you know it better than me :-).
    You do a spotless job, though!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Well I can’t argue that now can I Spiros? 😉 some of your past limited run models are good benchmark to solve fit issues

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Been away from this build a few days, I just did some catchup, and I have to echo all the praise - nice work @holzhamer! I especially liked the look of the engine, but the detail finish all over is well done.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A little drawback, but for sure you will correct it perfectly, Pedro.
    Fuselage halves together, so larger steps to come.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress! I really like how the undercarriage looks like.