Revell 1/32 Heinkel He219 A-0/A-2 ”Uhu” Nachtjäger Dual Build

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 34 · 3 years ago · 1/32, He219, Heinkel, Revell, Uhu
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks my friends @airbum and @eb801!

Erik, by the way, those instructions are the "new style" Revell ones, first time I use them. I was a tad sceptical at the start, with all those illustrations and stuff, but they are quite good!

Eric, I can usually manage two to four modeling hours a day, sometimes less, even zero (family obligations, tireness etc...), rarely more than four. I am lucky to have a setup bench, so, if a half hour gap arises, I can make good use of it.

Well...I confess that one of the best times of he tday (actually of the night!) is when in bed, just before sleeping, where, intentionally or unintentionally I "build" one of my projects in my mind...

Also, I will not deny that I may exchange an couple of hours sleeping for modeling...(ok, not everyday..but often!)

Finally, what REALLY pushes my motivation to find build time, is your great "company" here, guys! Simply amazing!

Thanks again for this!

• Profile Photo

Update

I stuffed many fishing weights inside nacelles' front, secured with my sons' modeling clay. I then secured the whole "mass" with styrene pieces, bonded together with liquefied styrene. Here is the result:

Then I attached the nacelles onto the wings. Fit was good, but not perfect. Gaps were treated with liquefied styrene. At the same time the nice two piece oil coolers, the two wing additional air intakes and the landing light base were attached to the wing leading edges.

I then assembled the six wing moving surfaces (two piece each).

Then, my younger son (3yo) invaded the workshop, so I went to "work stop" status, barely achieving to take the last pic and post here...

Here are the results so far...

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress, Spiros @fiveten
    A good idea to secure that large amount of weights and a nice approach to get that done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb!
    These are some heavy nacelles!

• Profile Photo

Update

The engine radiators are some nicely engineered parts, attached circumferentially in the inner cowl front. They are well represented in the kit in five pieces each that have to be carefully glued together and simultaneously attached inside the cowl:

The fuselage was assembled, as well as the rudders, the horizontal stabilizers, the nice four exhaust covers and the five tires, that, nicely are separately supplied from the rims.

I am a happy gluer (ahhhhh, those fumes!)

Chreers!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

You should indeed be a happy modeler after breathing in all those vapors, Spiros. @fiveten
    Quite a lot of work to get those radiators in place, but well done.
    What a huge fuselage that is, really impressive.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @johnb!
    Those radiators did not want to conform! Had I assembled them in pentagon shape outside the cowling and then installed them, it would have been a piece of cake!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Well Spiros, you had it a bit easier that the last UHU-puzzle I saw 🙂

taken in Aalborg, Denmark 29th April 2012. It has since been sold to Germany, but I do not know where. So if anyone tells you that there is only one UHU in exixtence you can tell them to doubleup on that. (another picture was posted in Chucks UHU build)

• Profile Photo

Wow,my friend @airbum! 1:1 radiators, cowling pieces and back nacelles!
    Simply amazing!
    Thanks for posting, motivation boosted up!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Your work on the Uhu is going along at a very fast pace, and it looks great ! I will do my best to catch up with you...

These are some amazing pictures... Our good friend Erik @airbum was very kind to share with us. It is indeed a boost !
    Did you see his article in the headlines section ? There are more wonderful pictures located here:

There is only one surviving Heinkel 219 Uhu
  • Profile Photo

Thanks Louis @lgardner!
    Eagerly waiting for your Uhu as well!
    Rumor has it that these twin builds will be more or less synchronized.
    I did check our good friend's Erik @airbum Uhu pics posting: those are some wonderful pics!
    What a motivation!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I almost lost it! What a great show ! Spiro , you have a piece of pure gold on your workbench, and from what I see from your start, you will soon have a piece of jewelry. Do not be afraid of it because of its size, I have one that I started a long time ago and another on the shelf. It is a kit that will compensate you with its pleasant construction and impressive appearance, even directly from the box. Guys, can I bring my popcorn and enjoy the spectacle together? Spyros, please continue posting.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Michael @faraomike!
    Indeed, it is a gem of a kit! Revell must be congratulated for bringing up kits like this...ad at that price!
    As usual, I will build OOB, especially here, where this kit is pretty comprehensive. I can only imagine this kit build by you and your amazing superdetailing skills!
    You are a most welcome guest here, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Spiros, @fiveten

I have made some good progress on my He-219 model. I have completed the cockpit:

and I used two 3/8 inch bolts that were 1 1/4 inches long for the needed 90 grams of weight for the fuselage. The bolts were threaded all the way, so I screwed on 4 each 3/8 inch nuts on each bolt.

This weighed in at roughly 50 grams for each assembly. I taped the bolts together using blue tape.

One weighed 45 grams... but who's counting ? as long as it weighs more than the needed 90 grams I am good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

I did not install the seats. Instead I sanded away the molded in seat harness, and repainted the seats using RLM 66. The seat upholstery was then painted again using a brown leather color.

I have a set of aftermarket seat harness sets for the cockpit. Once completed this should look better than what was molded on.

Here's a close up picture showing the radio and radar scopes. Not all of the decals have been applied when this picture was taken. The kit supplied decals worked very well, and snuggled down into the recessed areas very well after an application of Solvaset.

These photos show the cockpit after the side walls were installed. One is clear, the other is molded in a light blue(ish) gray, solid plastic color like the rest of the kit.

Remember the weights I made using the 3/8 bolts ? Here is where they fit. Like a glove ! They will fit in the open area that is just behind the cockpit, and ahead of the first bulkhead / main wing spar.