Revell/Hasegawa 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I/II Build Part IV-Things Get Riveting!

Started by Seamus Boughe · 6 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I have always been intrigued by fellows who, armed with a ponce wheel, straight edge, tape, and scale plans, will reproduce every rivet on their model aircraft that the actual aircraft has. While I get a real charge out of this attention to detail and cannot argue the results such detailing achieves, I gotta admit, I ain't that modeler. However, I do believe in adding the more prominent details on that a lot of these aircraft had, especially those prominent details that give a particular aircraft some character. I had already scribed some sixty-plus "Dsus" fasteners into the nose of my Spitfire as these were not represented by Hasegawa. Three nights with a Swiss beading tool and some Tamiya tape but it was worth the result. Spitfires also had some Prominent riveting along the wing roots. This was represented on the model, but was lost in the sanding process after re-scribing the fuselage. Not to worry though, I had those rivets replaced in about an hour using Archer Fine Transfers "Surface Detailing" rivets. This is just molded resin on clear decal paper that is made to go under paint. They apply just like regular decals and snuggle down with a drop of decal fastener. I like the results and I am sure things will look a lot better under paint.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I have also been working on my little piece of Northolt AF where my Spitfire will be stationed. I will be having my local trophy shop make a front plate for the base as soon as I can come up with an appropriate title.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Seamus...Great looking base and the Spit looks good as well. Can't wait to see the rivets after paint.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Ah, fine work there Seamus. Great progress on the finer points most of us wouldn't know how to do! Great display base too!

• Profile Photo

Yeah, those finer points are the reason it takes me so long to complete anything. My Spitfire was off to the paint booth several times already only to be returned to the workbench because I remembered another detail that I had to add. I think now I am ready to shoot some paint.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Seamus-been awhile since I've visited this part of the site. Your progress on the Spitfire is inspiring! Great work and attention to detail. Beautiful base as well. I'll be interested on how those rivet decals look when finished off with some paint and weathering-they look really good in the rough (someone had a cleaver idea making them).