Revell’s 48th scale AD-5 Skyraider & A-7 Corsair II

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 12 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 7 months ago:

It was suggested that I reveal the innards of these two kits, so here ya go:

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Thank you very much Craig. This are older kits, but can be build into fine looking models.
    The decals are looking great too.
    I am looking forward for your upcoming build.

• Profile Photo

Yes, they aren't the quality of the newer stuff - there's some 'flash' on some of the pieces and the sprue attachment points are rather thick - much of the detail of today's offerings are absent, but as you said, I think they'll be "presentable" once done. That's my hope anyway 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Not by todays standard mean well proven kits 😉
    Simply build them and have fun.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Thats what its about, having fun.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

The Matchbox and Aurora lineage certainly shows but I expect the "King of the Rattlecan" 😉 will turnout a couple of good looking models.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Like Simon said above, having fun is what it's all about, looking forward to seeing these, Craig. Any chance of some WIP pictures (posted here, of course!)?

• Profile Photo

I don't generally take WIP pics, but as a favor to you, George, I shall try to remember to do that. No guarantees, though. As a rule, it's not part of the "process". Stay tuned, however.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Rick...as 'they' say, "...I do the best I can with what I've got..." 🙁

• Profile Photo

This afternoon I "de-sprued" all the parts/pieces from the trees of both kits. But that's all. Just cleaned off all the sprue trees. All the loose parts are back in box. They're both a lot "cruder" than I'd first suspected - gonna be a lot of filing and sanding before any painting gets done. The Skyraider had a "made in Poland" decal affixed to the inside of the lower wing. Revell? Really? The Corsair had an Illinois manufacturers decal. That's more like it (but the attachment points were equally as "crude" [read: thick]. Plus the A-7 had like 1/3 the parts that the AD had. I'm done for now. Not lookin' forward to sittin' down at the bench and startin' all that "cleaning up", know what I mean?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

The Skyraider is originally a Matchbox kit and the A-7 is a slightly reworked Aurora kit. They will both take a lot of trimming and dry fitting to get good joints, but both can be built up into good looking models.

• Profile Photo

Wish I'd known that beforehand...I probably wouldn't have bought 'em and spent the money on a Tamiya kit (but then again, Tamiya wasn't offering a 40% off coupon) 🙂