Roden 1/48 T-28C (done as a ”B”)

Started by Tom Cleaver · 40 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

I agree with @johnb!
    Nice progress!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Looking good, Tom (@tcinla). Navy T-28s, compared to those in the Air Force, had some really striking paint schemes. They were still around when I first started flying, and I never appreciated how big they were until I stood next to one on the flight line.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Nice paintwork. Was the ‘50s Chrome Yellow different from the pre-war wing Chrome Yellow? I’ve used Tamiya spray bomb Camel Yellow for those. I have that Caracal sheet with the Barin Field plane on it. I’m going to take a hook from the spares box. Barin Field is still operational. It’s an outlying field for NAS Whiting Field over in FL. I pass by it once a week when I’m down here when I meet some friends for lunch in Elberta, AL.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@gblair - when I used to fly with my friend in his T-28 as my photoplane, climbing up the side of that thing felt like going up Everest and I always felt like I was hanging on for dear life to not fall and go splat. (Of course, nowadays, I have to use a stepladder to get in a T-6, but when the photo subject comes in range, nobody cares how I got there)

• Profile Photo

I know the feeling, Tom (@tcinla). I had a Pontiac Solstice until a few years ago. My knees started giving me trouble getting out of the car, and it loses a lot of its cool factor when you have to put your hand on the ground to get out.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Looking good here Tom. I just found your build. I didn’t care much for this Roden Trojan. As I recall it seemed like a lot of the plastic was thick, chunky and ill fitting. I find there’s always something irritating about Roden kits. Especially their 1/35 soft military vehicles. But you seem to be sailing thru this one. Did you modify the cockpit tub?

• Profile Photo

@eb801: I only sanded down the seats to make them thinner. No putty was used anywhere. It is "clunky" in terms of parts, but when they're together it becomes less so, somehow.

And it beats the daylights out of its 1/48 competition. 🙂

• Profile Photo

@johnb - I cannot think of a more difficult color to get right than yellow. You always have to give it a white undercoat.

• Profile Photo

And now decaled.

As you can see, the model has met with the approval of the Supervising Producer, Roscoe, who decided it was time for further additions to the massive Roscoe File. So here's a couple others.

Roscoe will be 10 in August. We found him at age 10 days, abandoned in an empty flower pot in the back yard by his feral mom because he was the runt of the litter. SWMBO spent the next six weeks bottle feeding him every two hours. As a result of being raised by people, he is convinced he too is a Person, which he is. (all sentient beings are Persons at Le Chateau du Chat). He has never met a person he didn't like, which is why he is a total indoor cat, so he doesn't meet any of those who would change his opinion of the species. He was Kitten of the Day at Fix Nation. And yes, he is as smart as he looks. We also caught and domesticated his brother and two sisters, who decided they too would adopt us.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Roscoe is quite photogenic!
    I'll bet he knows not to knock anything off the workbench.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Looks great , Tom. Roscoe is very handsome. We’re cat lovers too.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Your T28 is indeed undergoing a thorough inspection, Tom @tcinla.
    No better eyes than cat eyes.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Oh my, QC inspections!
    Roscoe is mostly adorable!
    The T-28 looks amazing, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - all the fur people know they can get away with murder so long as they leave the models alone. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Navy paint schemes on trainers are hard to beat, Tom (@tcinla). Our supervisor is almost 20 years old, but luckily she mainly supervises my wife's quilting. She is a long-hair cat, and an all-encompassing mist of hair travels with her wherever she goes. I usually don't notice the stray cat hair until the paint is dry. :o)