Saab RF-35 Draken, Royal Danish Air Force, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 32 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Denmark, Draken, Hasegawa, RDAF
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi everyone!

Here is the 1/48 Hasegawa "Limited edition" Scandinavian Draken.

The Saab 35 Draken ('The Kite or The Dragon') is a Swedish fighter aircraft developed and manufactured by Saab between 1955 and 1974. It was the first fully supersonic aircraft to be deployed in Western Europe and the first aircraft to do the Cobra maneuver.

It is a plane I love, with a definite futuristic shape, always wanted to build a model of it.

Upon a "discussion" here in iModeler, I expressed this wish and my friend Erik @airbum sent me one (along with spme "other" gems) immediately, making me happy, laughing like a child. Thanks again, my friend!

Erik is a wonderful person, a good friend and a great fellow modeler.

I try to reduce my Shelf of Doom, denying any "new entry": So, the Draken was not allowed to enter the SoD, but took immediately its position in my model building production line.

This is a beautuful kit. I am really amazed by the crispness of the parts.

Instructions are typical great Hasegawa ones.

There are three schemes provided, a Swedish and a Danish recon and a Finnish fighter, with the decals being excellent.

The Swedish and Finnish are in dark blue and green over grey, and the Danish is in a lovely gloss green allaround.

Upon studying the scheme options, my choice was immediately auto-selected:

I am going to build the RDAF RF-35, as a way to honour my friend Erik and his country. It is a beautiful scheme nevertheless, with little discrete roundels, accentuating the truly fantastic Draken shape. It sports formation lights, too. It looks extremely cool indeed!

Some projects are on higher priority at the moment, but it won't be long since I will cut those lovely sprues.

All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros my friend, happy to see a Danish Draken here. The initial color was a matt Olive that faded rather quickly as they were left to the elements most of the time.

I have a pair of pictures to illustrate this;

First one is taken at Karup (their homebase) at an "Open Day" on June 6th 1979.

Then a "spy-photo" taken from the streets of the city of Karup as the recently re-painted in gloss AR-110 turns final on May 10th 1980.

Both are part of a large collection of slides I bought a few years ago that contains a lot of different aircraft - some 15000 slides in all, so it takes a bit to get them all scanned.

Anyway, I think you will be wise to choose the later colors - even though the early ones are very interesting. I will see if I can scan some more material for your build (but no promises of early delivery)

I'm tuned in on this one, looking forward to the journey.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    Totally agree with you. Choosing the latter colours is wise, early colours still VERY
    interesting!
    I will try (...) not to cut sprue still, so there's alittle decision time!
    Thanks for the pics, the Draken looks awesome, especially at the second pic!
    I love those 5-wheelers!

• Profile Photo

Isn't it by the way wonderful that people talk of the new F-35's that everybody want to buy - Denmark had F-35's almost 50 years ago! (OK, they threw in a tailplane and stuff on the new-manufactured ones) I did dream of making an F-35 Gorup Build here, but the 3 F-35's to choose from might be a bit of a small range to choose from. . .

Anyway @fiveten - not to let you have any ideas, but the first one is just begging for a diorama, don't you think? And it has to be a tailsitter too! (You would have to stretch the oleo on the parkingsupportgearleg though)

• Profile Photo

My friend @airbum, I think the Draken looked light years more futuristic back then, than the F-35 looks today (ok, just me?). There have been kind of double delta designs, but THIS is coming (still) from the future.

You can never go wrong with a Gorup Build, no matter how small. Of course, should you ever decide ths F-35, autoadd me please!

A diorama is always a splendid idea, though my experience is minuscule at.

I bet they would tailsit with the slightest smear of wind...

And a technical question:were the late gloss schemes flown, or they were just static display planes?

• Profile Photo

The gloss paint was added around 1980 because it was too costly (lots of man-hours needed) to keep the matt colors going. The pattern you see in my first photo is the faded original, and the darker shades are all added during maintenance as the matt was prone to corrode, especially in the panellines and along edges of hatches. And yes, they were flown - I met them all the time when I got my licence in the late 80's as I took lessons some 30KM from Karup (The only base that had Drakens during all their servicelife)

• Profile Photo

Thanks for great info, my friend @airbum. Now, how can I resist the gloss?...With mere spotties of matt-fading? There's still time to decide...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Love the Draken - and the Viggen and the Gripen - really anything Saab! I remember the Revell Draken as a boy. I'll build mine soon...

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice choice, Spiros. I like the Draken too. I also like the later gloss Danish scheme. I’m eventually going to do a Danish F-104 in that color. Haven’t decided on which paint to use yet. I’m thinking Xtracolor FS 14079 (Dk. US Vietnam green). Thoughts?

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg @gkittinger! Saabs - all of them - are so cool!
    Will be glad to see your Draken built!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @j-healy!

FS 14079 is the recommended gloss shade for these schemes. You cannot go wrong with Xtracolor, so it seems you are in a succesful path with it.

Humbrol equivalent (I use Humbrols) is 116, which is matt and will have to be glosscoated. This will make it darker and, to my feeling it is still a tad darker than the colour I observe at the net pics. So the darker will become even darker!

I have custom made Hu102 with some black in it and it looks "right" to my eye. I might use this...

Here's a pic with the two Humbrols under it: 116 and custom-darkened 102. 102 looks closer to my eye.

I eagerly wait to see your Danish Starfighter! It will look supercool in the dark green scheme!

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Weren't the Danish Drakens painted gloss to ease maintenace? Spray from salty water was easier to remove on gloss rather than matte finish?

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Those are good color picks too. The trouble for me is that the color looks different in every photo I see.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

The name Draken says it all...what a great choice for your next build. I will be following for sure...

• Profile Photo

Thanks for watching, my friends!

Hi Stellan @stellan! I bet you are correct! Gloss finishes are way too easy to keep up with in corrosive environments. Erik's @airbum above comment provides a lot of useful info on the subject.

Hi John @J-healy! That's the oddity of the photo references! The colours look different under different light conditions, to say the least... This is a major discussion among modellers, with many interesting views.
    When in doubt, I study as many pics as I can, trying to correlate what I see with the conditions the pic was taken under. Also, I take into account if the subject is freshly painted or has flown 5 hard years with this paint.
    After some "global" thinking, I set my mind and usually look in my paint supplies to find the closest match of the shade I finally settled in.

Hi George @gblair! Thanks a lot!