Scratch build 1/24 scale Aerotek Ace prototype – Part 1

Started by Adrian Starling · 194 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

She is looking great already, Adrian.
    Every part you create fits perfectly, unbelievable.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Spiros and John, many thanks for your kind words and the detailed build should now gain momentum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress Adrian! Looking forward to all your details now that you are on a roll 🙂

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Erik, now for the exciting stuff!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@adrianstarling - this is coming together really fast for a project like this, and it's looking to have a great result. I'm really impressed with your work.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Tom, really appreciate your encouraging words. It is now getting to the stage where I can concentrate on the intricate elements which will slow things down a bit but it is the part that I really enjoy!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The primer really brings everything together, Adrian (@adrianstarling). I still think you need to do a short class for us in how you are able to create the complex shapes in the fuselage. Your work is so far beyond what I do with kits that it seems like magic.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

With its primer coat on, the clean lines of the aircraft is well defined. Your model is stunning! I am looking forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks George, i really appreciate your kind words. I attach a few images to show how I am doing the mould for the canopy (made in 2 parts)and believe me it is a simple process. Firstly I take the measurement/ shapes of the front and back area of the cockpit by using low tack vinyl/decal application tape and pencil. I then put that piece of application tape on the abs/ plastic and and cut out the shape. Then I cut out the longitudinal shapes/ section and then the base. I then CA glue them together and you now have the shape you are looking for in the 3 planes. Balsa wood is cut and put into the two areas as seen in the pictures and hand sand until all areas take the form of the plastic sections. I then cover the balsa the CA liquid glue which protects the balsa and makes the surface rock hard and you have a part that you can mould and work with. I hope that gives a basic explanation!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Morne, getting to the exciting stage and the canopy and cockpit is the next on the hit list!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is such a wonderful tutorial, my friend @adrianstarling!I have a finished Hasegawa 1/72 Shin Meiwa PS-1 flying boat that is missing the canopy. I know how to make it now!
    Thanks so much for sharing this info, my friend!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Spiros, I am glad I can help! In 1/72, you get is a sheet of acetate and heat it up with a heat gun and literally pull it over the mould and trim! You have your canopy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Splendid work Adrian.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for sharing this tutorial, Adrian.
    Sounds and looks doable, once you have experience.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Erik