Scratch build 1/24 scale Aerotek Ace prototype – Part 1

Started by Adrian Starling · 194 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

John, a pleasure and it is genuinely very doable but with your experience it will be very easy!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks, Adrian (@adrianstarling). Your results are truly amazing. I assume you use thicker plastic for the fuselage and wings. Do you use the same heat & stretch process for the fuselage?

• Profile Photo

Hello George, many thanks. The fuselage was vacuum formed with 1.5mm Styrene over basswood moulds and the wings I used 0.5mm flat styrene/plasticard sheet glued with CA over the balsa wood wing cores. The wings had no heat used. I hope that answers your questions.

• Profile Photo

Thanks again, Adrian (@adrianstarling). The level of your work is still like magic, but you have given me enough information to give it a try.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George , that is great news and please let me know if I can help in anyway. Please feel free to contact me with any questions and I will be only to glad to help. Good luck and I am sure you will find it very satisfying and build things that one cannot buy!

• Profile Photo

A week has gone bye and a little progress! I have now added all the templates to the fixing base for the assembly of all the elements. This week, I concentrated on finishing the engine cowl and air intake and fixing the elevator in place. This is the first fit on both items and finessing will be carried out. Unfortunately I did not get to the cockpit as the cowl is an important part as the canopy locates over the back edge of it with a fine lip. I have also test fitted the landing flaps and elevator before adding the detail and fixing.The canopy will be the next part to be built/ pulled in acrylic before getting onto the front instrument panel as the canopy dictates the location of the panel when the canopy is in the closed position. Next week very little will be done as the bank holiday is almost upon us and good family time is in store! I hope you enjoy the mini update.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I would call it a bit more than just a little progress, Adrian.
    She is coming together very nicely.
    Shapes and fitting are superb.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@adrianstarling - truly amazing work on this. Your work could easily stand next to my old friends the late George Lee and John Alcorn. Scratchbuilders leave me in awe.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John, lots of sanding and lots of test fitting but important to get the correct shape! I think another couple of weeks and then it’s onto the canopy, cockpit and undercarriage. Looking forward to the detail work - I am very impressed with the Walrus! Well done and I am enjoying your build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Tom, I am honoured to be mentioned along side your late friends and masters, George and John! I must honestly say that I learned a lot from your Pucara build and now watching your Spit with great interest and in particular the assembly method! Your post means a lot to me, thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Amazing job, my friend @adrianstarling!
    The more I look at those complex curves, the more spectacular I find your masterclass craftmanship.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Spiros, really appreciate your kind words. It will be slow going forward as all the wonderful detail starts!

• Profile Photo

Primer really brings the results of your hard work together, Adrian (@adrianstarling). Your work looks flawless!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks George. You are so right, when one reaches the primer stage it is always a goal achieved!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is an amazing feat of model creation, Adrian. It is challenging enough for me to build and detail in 1/24 and the idea of creating a model for scratch, well, wow. This is a very attractive aircraft and well worth the effort to create. Love the model so far.