Scratch build 1/24 scale Aerotek Ace prototype – Part 1

Started by Adrian Starling · 194 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years ago:

Many thanks Colin, I appreciate your kind words!

• Profile Photo

A small update after the Easter break! Before moving onto the canopy I decided to cut up the engine cowl and added the engine intake vent cut outs where I will be adding the NACA ducts which I am busy on creating at the moment. You will notice that there is a lot of filing and filling to do to get the joins perfect as the cowl will be a removable part as I will be building the Pratt and Whitney PT6-25 turbine engine which will be visible. Slow but important progress and I hope you enjoy!

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

To me it looks like great progress although you only call this a small update, Adrian.
    It will be a nice 'feature' to be able to show the engine.
    Looking forward to a scratchbuild version of that as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, my friend @adrianstarling!
    Showing the engine means an amazing "model" becoming even more amazing!
    Love your rendition of the NACA inlets: my 1/72 Matchbox Victor sported two at the front, but very shallow; had to drill them out.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Clean cut - now the rest 🙂

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John and Spiros, you are right and I am looking forward to getting to the engine phase. The attached image is the turbine engine I will be building! That is going to be an interesting challenge but will give the model some good detail! The NACA ducts will also add some nice detail too and I am glad I am building in 1/24 as your 1/72 ducts must have been a challenge Spiros! As always thanks for your encouraging words.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik, onwards and upwards to the canopy and cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Plane continues to move along nicely, Adrian (@adrianstarling). How many scratchbuilds do you have going at the same time? Really interested in seeing your techniques for the cockpit.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks George, I have two going at the moment and two in the hanger (Cessna 210 Centurion and SAAF Atlas Kudu). I have completed the Mirage F1 cockpit and will be doing the Ace imminently! I will certainly record the progress on this blog for you. I will share the Mirage step by step if you would like me too on a private message, let me know.

• Profile Photo

It’s been a few weeks and a few details have been addressed namely the final fitting lines of the engine cowl, NACA ducts and the tail plane leading edge fuselage fins! The cowl took a lot of filing, fitting and more filing but am nearly complete before the the final sanding and painting will commence. The exhaust ports were refilled as the right hand port was slightly out of alignment so will be redrilled in the correct position. Moulds were made for the NACA ducts and then vacuum formed and sanded to the correct depths and angles and glued in place. Filling and final sanding will be next. The pictures are in order and hopefully shows the progress. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

This is serious progress, Adrian @adrianstarling
    Your scratchbuilding is true craftmanship.
    The smaller white parts shown in picture 7 and 8, are those 3D printed?

• Profile Photo

Hi John, thanks for your kind words. The parts were vacuum formed in 0.25mm abs.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Yep, that's fantastic progress, my friend @adrianstarling!
    Love those NACA inlets!
    Your Aerotek Ace looks wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Spiros, I must say that the ducts were very rewarding as this is the first time I have used this method which makes it a lot more accurate and a lot less work on the finishing element! As always, I really appreciated your comments!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Your work continues to amaze, Adrian (@adrianstarling). Very effective solution to your vents and inlets. Looking forward to the paint.