Shelf of Doomstangs

Started by Jim Harley · 16 · 3 years ago · 1/48th scale, Alclad, Mr. Color, P-51 Mustang, Salem Representative, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Someone asked about a B model Mustang 🙂 . My first attempt at Alclad and Betty Jane went south. I got it fixed but in the process I lost most of the forward surface detail. The second Mustang I bought off of eBay with a ton of resin parts and decals. What I didn't know was it was partially started. I'm not sure which resin cockpit set was attempted but it the fuselage walls were installed crooked and the fuse wouldn't go together. After much cussing and surgery it worked out and finally got it all to fit. This time, instead of using Aclad Black Primer...(which takes forever to dry and sucks up dust like a Hoover) , I used Mr. Color Black base and wet sanded with 6000 grit. Butter! Once all the silver was successfully applied I decided on Salem Representative. I'm using Mr. Color, Tamiya, and Alclad paints. It's so nice when everything works! The decals are a mix of Kits-World and Superscale. The Kits-World nose art and Serial numbers are spot on, but the Fuselage codes are way off. I used Superscale codes from the stash, along with their stars and bars. No real hic-ups, about a week of building and painting, around 3 hours a night and this is where it's at.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Second post...Finished up most of the washes tonight, may add some more oil paint fading to the stars and bars. Still have to weather the prop, install the seat, clamshells, canopy, and pitot tube. I think I used about $30 bucks in tape 🙂

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Jim!
    This is a beautiful job; your NMF stands out.
    One would assume that Alclad primer would be the way to go when Alclading, but you went better with Mr Color. It's never bad to experiment in our hobby!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros! I thought I'd give Alclad 1 more try. The black primer went on beautifully, but was still tacky after a week. I to try to stick to a complete paint system...but this wasn't working. The Alclad Clear coat goes on beautifully as well straight out of the bottle at about 15psi. Another product that is just phenomenal is Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. I don't think I've ever seen a smoother finish produced outside of Aircraft Dope. I'm thinking the learning curve for all this stuff is a circle 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great looking color scheme and paint job. At one point, it seemed all of the model paint brands were disappearing, and now there are more than I can keep track of. It is great to have a choice.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Well your enthusiasm wtih the paints is completely justified, your Pony has a flawless paint work, I like it a lot!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hey Jim ! @jimh
    It's great to see you back at it again... You picked a good one to build.

Kidd Hoffer wasn't shot down by a Luftwaffe Experten as claimed by one individual who claims to know everything. You know who I mean. Instead, he was shot down along with 4 other Mustangs by the German AAA that ringed the airfield they were strafing on that fateful day. You can google it and see exactly what I'm talking about. It's listed on Wiki too, yet the one who touts to "squash all things that are not correct" continues to spread his poison. Enough about that.

Back to the models. Even if you have spent $30 in masking tape, it looks like every penny was well spent. The wheels remind me of Don Gentile's P-51 Shangri La

Your paint is flawless, as was your F2G Race 57...

Thanks for posting...and for inspiring me to do some work on my two 1/32 scale Ponies.

Stay safe brother.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Hey! Yeah I'm back for sure...missed building but sometimes life gets in the way. Took on a new job and working crazy hours. Things have settled down and I'm attacking my stash 🙂 I've always had a fascination with Hofer. When Troy White published his book "Last of the Screwball Aces" it made a lot of things clear. He flew his damaged Mustang in to one of the AAA guns at Mostar Airbase in Yugoslavia. According to Troy his body was recovered from the wreckage and eventually returned to the U.S. and buried in Missouri. If I remember right he was operating with the 325th out of Lesina Italy. I bookmarked the places in Google Earth...just to get a feel for what it looked like. You can still see the stained earth hardstands at Lesina. It looks like the old Luftwaffe base is still there and mostly intact, although there is a new airfield to the southeast.

I'll be following along on your Mustang. After the Panther that may be next on the list. Thanks for your post and good to hear from you!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Got a bit done tonight, put a thin coat of semi-gloss on the OD, May add some flat in a couple spots. Down to the prop, clamshells, pitot tube, light cover and another pass with the oil paints. The Malcolm hood is really thick so dremeled it down with Polish, it fits a bit better. I’m on the hunt for a Squadron hood and I’ll probably invest in a resin prop. For now I’m going to use an Accurate Miniatures prop.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hey Jim ! @jimh
    Man we really think a lot alike... I have done the exact same thing for Major Preddy and his crash site. This is a bit spooky. LOL

I noticed that San Severo is listed on the map of Italy by the heel portion of the boot. This was a Luftwaffe base earlier on during the War and it was occupied by IV / JG-3 at one time. They flew Bf-109G's from there in 1943. One of these 109's was flown by a pilot named Johannes Burda, who scored a total of 7 victories during the War. His last kill was a B-24D named "Chief" in September, 1943. The top turret gunner in this B-24 crew of "Chief" was a childhood friend of my Dad's named Clark Ingram, who flew on the first Ploesti mission as part of the 98th "Pyramiders". Half of his crew were killed in the shoot down. Clark survived to become a "Guest" at Luft Stalag III. When he was liberated in April of 1945, he was a mere skeleton... he was part of the "Shoe Leather Express" where the Germans were force marching POW's in freezing weather, often without shoes, to keep them from being liberated by the advancing Allies.

Ironically Johannes Burda was killed in a landing accident flying a Bf-109G a year and one month later to the day, in October, 1944. Clark's plane was his last confirmed victory.

I'm also happy to hear that you didn't believe the garbage being spread around about "Kid" Hofer being shot down by Erich Hartmann... It just didn't happen that way, and what you described matches perfectly with the original records. Some people want to change history by re writing stuff that never happened. So they fabricate fiction and sell it as truth.

I ain't buying it ! I have better things to spend my hard earned cash on...

I am really liking what I see here ! Your Mustang is getting closer to being done... What do you have in store for us next ?

• Profile Photo

That’s too cool Louis. Preddy is another fighter pilot that holds a certain fascination. I’ve mapped out his final flight as well. I thought I was the only one that nerdy. Sam Sox actually went over there and tried to find his crash site. He thinks he was close but nothing was really conclusive. A few years ago we did a trip to Europe and the route we took from Amsterdam to Belgium took us right by Y29. Unfortunately I couldn’t talk the group in to finding the memorial. Years ago the wreckage of Bill Preddy’s Mustang was found and the seat and a rudder pedal are or were in a museum in Hickory. The seat is in remarkable condition, we talked about putting it in Betty Jane to give it one more flight but it was tweaked a bit too much. The photo below is about a mile or so from Y29.

I’m calling Salem done before I screw it up. The Accurate Miniatures prop doesn’t look half bad so I may glue together permanently, for now I used Blue Tac to hold the blades in place. I’ll take proper photos tomorrow. As for what’s next? I don’t know, I’m on a Mustang kick and my Betty Jane decals are stuck in Europe. I’ve been mulling around 4 different pony’s...all of which I have the decals and the conversion.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Salem looks fantastic, Jim!
    Loved to read the above historic "discussion" you had with Louis @lgardner!
    Nice to learn all those important info bits.
    Waiting for you next installment!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Mustang looks great, especially with the natural metal finish. I always admire people who can do a metal finish well. For me, a NMF is a shot in the dark.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Well now I see the Phoenix has indeed risen. Boy that's a good looking pony Jim, all your hard work obviously has paid off. More pony's in the pipeline ? May have an extra kit in my stash if you're interested. And how's that Panther coming along? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! It's all Tamiya though...I'm just amazed by these kits. The Panther is 90% there 90% to go 🙂 I finally found Brubaker Decals if that tells you which direction I went. I told myself when I got back in to this to "do one kit at a time"...well that went out the window, it's too fun not too. I've got at least 5 Mustangs I want to do...for now 🙂 The NMF was a huge learning curve but once it clicks it really clicks. I think it took me around an hour and a half to do Salem with the Alclad. I sprayed the entire airframe and used some different shades on various panels and not a lick of it pulled up with the tape. The last 2 attempts were disasters and pretty much destroyed two kits, although I saved the Betty Jane model I lost most of the cowling detail stripping the finish. It's now my exhaust "test bed" model. More soon!