Side by side: Building the bf.109 G-6 Zvezda vs. Eduard

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 36 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks you for the kind words my friends. I’m hoping that the end result of this kit will be pleasant.
    Louis, you might be right! this model has all the potential for a “maintenance diorama”.
    I have several figures around, one of them a pair made by Verlinden that would fit that shoe. Maybe someday I’ll have the guts to build that.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Pedro, this is looking great. As some folks around here would say, "full ahead and damn the torpedoes!" - make the dio...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Just noticed that it has been over a month since I last updated here...terrible procrastination effect
    Honestly these 109 haven't been in the bench much, but here is a quick update of what I did

Since I managed to get the engine a bit further than it should be, had to sand a bit of the engine firewall area and shape a few other components to maintain the scale shape. It was daunting but a far less complicated affair than I had expected.
    Still a few cables to add and paint before attaching both MGs and proceed to get the engine covers in the open position.
    Shame that the stencil decals (from Eduard) developed some silvering a few days after their application. No remedy cured that issue...

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I like what I'm seeing ! The DB engine looks fantastic. Looks like you have it under control, and the work you did with repositioning the engine looks spot on... 🙂 Is this one painted as "Toni" Hackl's plane or one flown by Grislawski ?

I especially like how the mottling turned out... Very nice indeed.

Now I want to finish up the Jumo's on my ICM He-111 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Louis! It’ almost imperceptible to eye on a casual observation, but the backward repositioning of the engine cuts some details necessarily...better than lose the entire model, right?
    This is also a squadron leader machine, but not those you mention. It’s was flown by Heinrich Klopper, a far lesser know ace from 7. JG/1

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I like the plane you have picked, and it's great that you have a picture of the original. That makes things a lot better for an accurate build.

I couldn't tell where you made the adjustments when the engine was repositioned... It looks very nice.