Silver Horse and Black Fighting Rooster – Mustang mk.III AZ-Model

Started by capt. R · 141 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@pb_legend @gblair @fiveten @johnb I didn't know locking the fuselage in a Mustang would cost so much work. I spent half the night on it. The Spitfire seemed simple. Unfortunately, a lot of putty went. I think Instrument panel looks better in spitfire. I think it turned out worse than last time.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks perfect from here, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thank you! Maybe I have to bear with it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Too me it looks perfect as well, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo

@johnb Initially, I had the impression that the clocks were too conspicuous. the hands, which I marked with white paint, seemed to be too thick. But now, when I look at it, it's probably ok

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The cockpit and instrument panel look great, @lis. The interior color also looks like a good choice. I think the fuselage may be a little more complex than the Spitfire, so there are more bumps and angles to get fitted.

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend @gblair @fiveten @johnb

finally the airframe is ready. This time it goes slower, because as you have noticed in general, the structure of the aircraft is more varied in shape and some elements require work. The wings fit quite well. Practically putty is not needed. Honestly, I watched a dozen films about assembling different P-51s in the P-51 scale and it turns out that the cockpit is definitely the nicest in AZ / KP. Tamiya is surprisingly poor, even a hardwood floor is missing. I will not say that I have no pleasure in assembling this Mustang. The fun is really fun. Being a fetishist of on-board weapons, after a short thought, I cut out the existing barrels, drilled four holes and mounted a set of 0.50 brownings from the Fine Molds kit. Honestly, I have always liked the homogeneous 0.50 brownings. Facilitating work for mechanics, good ballista (cannon shells have a lower initial velocity and the trajectory is very parabolic so aiming was harder). Apparently, the minuse in the Mustang was a ammunition tape that got stuck in the original "B" models because the rails leading to the tape were bent and the tape could jammed during sudden maneuvers. But apparently it was corrected later. I believe that especially in dusty conditions it was a nuisance, for example in the Pacific or in the Mediterranean.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks really good, @lis. Starting to look like a Mustang. Interesting info on the guns.

• Profile Photo

Progress is great Lis @lis
    And your pace is still quite high I would say.
    Fully agree that fun in modelling is the most important factor.

• Profile Photo

@gblair according to the report after a short series of brownings 0.50 Japanese zero turned into a roaring fireball. The half-inch armor-piercing shell was powerful enough to destroy any aircraft at the time, although in theory the destructive force was less than the 20mm Hispano cannon. In the United States, planes from the Browning 0.303 to the Browning 0.5 were retooled very quickly, in contrast to the RAF, where the set of 2x20mm Hispano + 4x Browning 0.303 was practically completely standard.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @lis!
    I too loved the guns info!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Part of the effectiveness of the .50's when encountering zeros, I think had more to do with the ineffective (or complete lack of) armored fuel tanks. They were hard to hit, but very volatile if struck.

I still think your build is looking great so far.

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend @gblair @fiveten @johnb I,m very glad that you like my progress. Today I tested new liquid putty. Pylons and fuel tanks was from extra sprues with extra tail tip as option. Unfortunetly this sprue was quite bad molded, so pylons need some work. Fuel tanks was OK.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice step, Lis @lis
    Curious about your experience on this Mr. Dissolved Putty.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @lis!