Silver Horse and Black Fighting Rooster – Mustang mk.III AZ-Model

Started by capt. R · 141 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Short answer, there are different shades that people might call Olive Drab.

Longer [but not a professional] answer... Depending on time period, and where/when the aircraft was painted, different depot's may have had a different shade mixed and/or available. Also weather had various effects on OD. Some paint lines (MMP) have premixed color ranges that go from very dark to very faded and all tones in between. That said, you can easily mix up a lighter or dark shade if you need to without too much difficulty.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Same answer from me, @lis. Many manufacturers make a color called "olive drab", and all of them are different. I just finished a P-40B and used Mission Model Paints, and they had four or five colors of olive drab. Two of the colors were "faded" colors. My suggestion would be to get a bottle of olive drab from whatever manufacturer you want, than add white, or black, or whatever color you want to get an olive drab you like. Like my art instructor used to say: "Have fun, it's only paint".

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Equally from me, Lis @lis.
    No equal olive drab colors exist.
    So many tone differences are to be observed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Same from me, my friend @lis!
    You can witness many shades, some of them towards green, some towards brown
    Hu155 is what I use, so this is how I envisage Olive Drab.
    best thing is to have a good pics of your modeling subject, so you more or less know what shade to opt for.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@airbum @pb_legend @gblair @fiveten @johnb

Thank you my friends for your suggestions. So I will use paint that I have at the moment.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 6 months ago: