Something.....Different?

Started by Ralph Jeffries · 7 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Jeffries said 5 years ago:

Just joined this group and I understand it's for aircraft in progress, but I'm not sure this is the proper group to post this in. Here goes...For several years I have been collecting Military (mostly aviation related) GI Joes and similar 1/6th scale figures. Now I know what your thinking...That's Not Modeling!...but I beg to differ. Nothing I get stays OOB, I have to make it different from all the others. I am also an avid aircraft model builder from WAY back and I was thinking of ways to combine the two. So here's what I came up with...one of my figures is a U-2 Dragon Lady pilot in high altitude flight gear (very detailed with a few tweeks of my own). He will be mounted to a plaque with a 1/48th scale Hawk Models U-2C in military black color scheme in the background. The kit was old and has a lot of fit problems, but no sweat for a level 3 or higher builder. The end result is...different and that's where I was trying to go. So...should this be here?...or diorama?...or maybe figures?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I should add that this is NOT the final product. There is still a lot of finishing work to be done...but you get the idea.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years ago:

Hi - good idea of combining two hobbies (collecting Gi and using them in modelling makes two - right?)
    Anyway, as I get the idea here it is for showing your work as it progresses, posting every now and then along the way untill the finished product. (to quote the text in "about group; Here’s a group dedicated to those long hours spent at the workbench, as building is the best part of the hobby. Share your ongoing work and let’s support each other!")

When your display is finished (the one you startet here) it will fit nicely as a finished article in the group covering the jet age, or even as just an article in headlines section under the aviation banner.

That was just my pennies worth - have fun with your displays!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

I really like the figure, especially with the U-2 in the background. I have a rather large & inclusive definition about modeling, so I welcome your efforts. Looking forward to some more of your work.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years ago:

Hey...modeling is modeling, no matter the "vehicle" - I, for one, LIKE your idea. 🙂

• Profile Photo

...and the finished product ready for desktop or wall hanging display.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ralph Jeffries said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Well...I finally finished the second one. I substituted an F/A 18 pilot figure for the 117 pilot just for the photograph only before it got delivered to my Lockheed friend. Now that this one is done, time to start working on the next...guess what figure goes next to this near 3 foot monster?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.