Looking great, @tcinla!
    Those bomb racks look very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Those racks look very detailed, Tom.
    Looking forward to have them installed.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Your pre-shading is a lot neater than mine ever is, Tom (tcinla). I'm not sure I ever knew that these planes were anything but a fighter.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Here it is, painted, in the "Operation Starkey" scheme. Interestingly enough, most modelers (including yours truly on a previous Whirlwind project) fail to get these markings right. There are a few photos (included here) of the airplanes during the operation which show the markings.

By this time (Septembr 1943), the airplanes were getting a bit "long in the tooth." 263 was the only squadron still equipped with them. This information is necessary in choosing how to paint the model.

The airplanes were all delivered in Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky. In August 1941, the Dark Earth got overpainted most likely with "mixed grey" given the shortage of the new Ocean Grey color paint, while the Sky got overpainted with Sea Grey Medium. The instructions for "mixed grey" were 50/50 Night and White, which is the same mixture for Neutral Grey, so I used Tamiya XF-53 "Neutral Grey". I also used XF-81 "RAF Dark Green" and XF-83 "Sea Grey Medium." Fortunately these could be done freehand, since the airplanes were repainted "in the field."

There is a slight degree of difference in grey tone between the rear fuselage stripe and the squadron codes. I took this to be that the stripe and spinners had been painted back in 1940/41 in "Duck Egg Blue," which was not overpainted afterwards. To get this, I used Tamiya XF-21 "Sky" (lightened with white to get the proper Sky shade - out of the bottle the color is too dark) mixed 4 partsSky to 1 part XF-23 "Light Blue" (which is actually RLM 65 Blue, a nice turquoise color).

First, I preshaded with black along the panel lines. Then I shot the white; since this was temporary and these markings were only on for a few days, I did this "rough" so that there is an "intimation of another color beneath." I then masked those off - the wing stripes are 18 inches wide (9/16 in 1/32). The "Duck Egg Blue" was then applied, and the rear fuselage stripe masked off - I left the lower ends of the tape loose so that when I painted the lower surface I could overpaint the stripe, as I noticed it was in one of the photos. Then I shot the flat black, also going for a "rough" appearance like the white.

For the overall camouflage scheme, I started with the Sea Grey Medium, going back over it with a bit of white added in the cup. Then the Neutral Grey, also gone over with a lightened shade. The Dark Green was given the most "weathering" of all since it would have been the color on the airframe the longest (back in the factory)

Next up: decals.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

That’s looking good!

• Profile Photo

Very nice paintwork, Tom @tcinla.
    The white nose adds really something special.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is nice, nice, nice research, my friend @tcinla!
    The Whirlwind looks super!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Although the Grey/Green scheme it does not move me much , the selection of an aircraft from those that took part in “Operation Starkey” it completely justifies you .
    You have done great work so far , when markings go on and some weathering , your Whirlwind will be very impressive !

PS: A little food for thought: A slightly modified Merlin engine to Peregrine, will it fit in this kit ?
    I am just wondering ...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Paint looks awesome, Tom (@tcinla), especially the invasion stripes, which are always "fun" to do.

• Profile Photo
    Steve Oakson said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Tom, justt saw your work on this kit. Very nice. Got mine several days ago, and like you, impressed with Special Hobby’s work. My problem is whether the aircraft in the pictures I’ve seen are dark earth/green, mixed grey/ green or ocean grey/green. I assume mostly mixed vs ocean. Thinking about doing Eeles bird. One illustration shows green/ brown/ sky. Another says mixed grey/ green. Rather confusing! If you have any input, feel free to comment. Wish the Whirlwind had been given a chance for more development.

• Profile Photo

Here it is with decals on. I modified kit decals to do HE-L/P7085. Tamiya decals from a Spitfire kit used for the C.1 roundel and the fin flash.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 11 months ago:

TC, the painting looks spot on. With the mottling or variations of off whites and the pre-shading the nose has substance and a little heft . . . more than a solid white. Same applies for the greens with some mottling and the variations in the blacks on the outer wings. This technique reminds me of the dot method which keeps the eyes moving and provides some depth and the illusion of weight. A good method and style of painting or a signature style. Time consuming and given the quickness of the build impressive to say the least.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Tom- that is looking really good. What’s the foot print (Shelf space) of this big scale Whirlwind once again? What are you going to do about the kit’s flat tires?

• Profile Photo

She looks spot on, Tom.
    The decals seem to follow the panel lines nicely.

• Profile Photo

@faraomike - the Peregine is actually a physically-smaller engine than the Merlin, which would have meant maJor redesign - engine nacelles, overall CG, etc. One can certainly wonder what ten squadrons of Whirlwinds in the Summer of 1940 - powered by twin Merlines - might have accomplished.