Special Hobby 1/48 Tempest II

Started by Tom Cleaver · 27 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I've been working on this for the past two days - it arrived on Wednesday and after one look in the box I was on my way.

This is definitely not the 1/32 kit. The fuselage and wing parts are molded type-specific, so there's not any of that extra fitting and fiddling. Everything goes together easily.

The kit is definitely from Eduard (down to having Tempest V trees from that kit), much similar to the Tempest V, except the fit is overall better in detail, and the wing doesn't have that split between upper/lower down the middle of the flap. As you can see from the photos, it came together with no putty or filler needed anywhere.

I used the Eduard p-e instrument panel from a Tempest V kit - the kit doesn't have that on its own. I also used the Barracudacast resin seat I had for a Tempest V just because it made things easier, though it's not necessary.

I didn't use the resin engine, which is quite nice, but I'm thinking I will use it on my next Airfix Sea Fury.

Overall, this is a definite winner.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

It sure looks like a winner Tom.
    Yesterday I saw the box from Eduard, very appealing scheme there

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Nice to see it goes together well.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

A great start, Tom @tcinla
    That interior looks nicely detailed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking really great, my friend @tcinla!
    A great start and (as usual) closing the finish line at lightning speed 🙂

• Profile Photo

Preshaded. Lower surface pained Sea Grey Medium, fuselage Sky band, yellow wing leading edge ID stripes. I'm doing the 16 Squadron airplane in Germany with BAFO. Drop tanks and two RPs outboard on each side.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Moving on at lightning speed indeed, @tcinla! Very nice job on preshading and painting.

• Profile Photo

You keep on progressing while trying to reply on your previous status, Tom @tcinla
    Very fine pre-shading lines.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This looks great, especially the interior, Tom (@tcinla). Special Hobby kits seem to get better and better. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

Here's the Tempest II painted. While I was at it and in a "tempestuous" mood, I painted the Eduard Tempest V that had been quietly sitting in its box waiting for a little attention. It's going to become "Le Grand Charles."

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great paintwork and nice comparison between the II and V Tempest, Tom @tcinla.
    The fuselage marking on the II looks very sharp.

• Profile Photo

Why painting only one Tempest, when you can paint two of them, one after the other? 🙂
    Great stuff, my friend @tcinla! They both look great!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

They both look great!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks great, Tom (@tcinla). The hardest part of using an airbrush is the cleanup, so you might as well get as much done as you can before you put it away.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Tom (@tcinla) - did this kit land on your doorstep or did you find some place that had it in stock? This is a number one on my list of models to build. No one seems to have it in stock. Hopefully SH has a huge shipment headed our way soon