Spitfire Story: Mk.I early, Eduard 1/48

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 60 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@airbum Thanks Erik! Overtrees with the early fuselage parts could be the solution.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@starfar, as per my friend @airbum, I like your pre black a lot!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thanks Spiros! The thing is that I don't know what I will get out of it after the painting with the black color 🙂 Just an experiment.

• Profile Photo

The two problematic colors - black and white. Will add some volume with oils, but later, after the washes. Next is the A-pattern.

• Profile Photo

Turned out nicely Dmitry @starfar!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Dimitry (@starfar), The preshading really comes to its own here - worked like a gem, at least on my screen.

Regarding the handpump, the reason that the comment you found mentions "the 1st 175 spits had the hand pumps" may refer to the fact that the first 175 Mk 1 were Woolston-produced, and after these quite a lot of modifications were introduced, like the two-step rudderpedals that enabled the pilots to sustain high G manoeuvres for longer. Now, your build is with a wooden two-bladed Aero Products manufactured propeller, and these were only used up to the 77th production machine. Therefore you are perfectly safe with the handpump. If you wish to check it, it is from Valiant Wings' splendid book on the early Spitfires. (page 39 and 184) They are from their "Airframe & Miniature" series, and a wealth of information for those of us that want the facts.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks for the references, Erik!

In the meantime, I did the marbling and applied the Dark Earth color. That's the first time I use AK Real Colors for the RAF camouflage. It's interesting how it will look like with the Dark Green, but I need to cut the masks for the A pattern now.

• Profile Photo

This is such a quality work, Dmitry @starfar! I am very curious to see the result, but I can sense it will be perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Dimitry, I'm going to steal your idea for a paintstand. Ot looks great and not too expensive.

Oh - and the spit is looking to be on the track too - nice work!

• Profile Photo
    Charles Whall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looking great Dimitry! My Mk.I arrived and I can't wait to get started on it. I am curious to see how your 'marbling' technique will work out. I also bought the AK Real series for my build. Regarding the undercarriage selector, I'm puzzled as to why Eduard didn't include an option for the later U/C as BoB Spitfires had this conversion carried out early in the battle, although I know some Spitfires still had the early version. Even the resin cockpit upgrade only has the hand pump!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Preshading and paintwork look great, Dmitry (@starfar). I love AK Real Colors and use them almost exclusively now, along with Tamiya paints. Your preshading worked out perfectly. I am usually too heavy-handed with the airbrush to get preshading to work properly and I always end up needing to post-shade also. It is odd how sometimes you apply a certain color and swear it is the wrong color, and then continue to add other colors to the camouflage, only to decide the "wrong" color looks alright.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Dmitry, @starfar
    This is a spectacular build. I am very impressed with your work. I have the new tool Tamiya Spitfire and about 5 other Spitfire models that were started back during the 100 Years of the RAF group build. The new Tamiya Spitfire is a beautiful model, so don't let the Town Crier lead you astray about it as he has with others.

My Spits are in various stages of completion. Now after seeing yours come to life in front of us, I am seriously thinking about finishing them up. One will fit into the Korean War group build, so it might just migrate over there since it is a late Mark 46/47. The new tool Tamiya Spit is still brand new in the box.

Your Spit is looking magnificent, and I will definitely be watching for the next installment now that I have stumbled across this build log. You're rocking with this one ! I also would take Erik @airbum
    at his word, as I have found his research to be spot on.

George's @gblair
    comments about the colors is also very true. It's amazing how things come together to make something whole.

The Spitfire went through various changes as new improvements were often added out in the field at repair depots, after these airframes left the factories where they were assembled. The same thing was true with the Hurricanes, so it would have been possible for an early Hurricane that left the factory with a cloth covered wing to have the wing changed at a repair depot to the new and improved "metal" wing in the field. So it would be possible to see an early plane with new things on it that don't seem to fit the general thoughts on how it "should" look. This is also true for the Spitfire, but I used the Hurricane as an example.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Stellar work Dmitry! The evolution story of the Spitfire is quite amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thank you, mates!

@airbum Erik, I've tried a universal painting stand (made of plywood, I think), but then I've got back to these. The reason is simple - the universal one is too big for my desk. Also, I use my "custom shop" stands for transporting. Not this year, for sure, as all of the shows were canceled, but maybe next year.

@charles-whall Hope, somebody will do the spare part with the late pump control, Charles. Aires or the similar company. Regarding the AK RC paints – great lacquers!

@gblair I also do some post-shading, George. I still didn't get the marbling technique well enough to do only it. The contrast should be stark - from almost black to 100% white, and for me, it's hard to achieve. And then you need to control the color, so it does not blend the marbling away. And you may have the issues I have with this Spit - see below.

@lgardner I think there should be an endless GB for Spits, Louis! And I would start a new Tamiya's Spit - it should be the great kit to build. Regarding the field modifications. There was a funny thread at one of the chats about this, and somebody has posted a war-time photo of a 109F with the modified 109G-10 cowling which is kinda crazy, but possible.

Next time I would buy the mask for the A pattern – not easy stuff to cut it properly. And after applying the Dark Green, and removing the masks, I've realized that Dark Earth is too light. It's not an issue with the AK RC colors – it's me. I should be adding another layer or two of it, but I was trying to not overpaint the marbling. So, I've tried to fix the situation by applying a dark brown filter. Didn't help much, and I will leave it as is, hoping that after all of the weathering, it will look a little bit darker. Will see.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

To my eye your Spit looks great, Dmitry @starfar.
    I also loved reading all above conversations with our friends.
    Waiting for your next steps!