Spitfire Story: Mk.I early, Eduard 1/48

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 60 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Sad to hear about the low quality decals, Dmitry @starfar.

Regarding the black walkway lines, I bravely cut them in smaller pieces, especially at the points where there is an angle, attahing them together on the wing surface. Regarding the easiness of moving, I usually put a small amount (a drop or so) of future on the surface the decal is supposed to go, in cases of stubborn decals that stay where you apply them and refuse to move This gives much more floating freedom to the decal, enabling the modeller to position it nicely.

I just loved reading the above informative postings from my friends Tom @tcinla and Louis @lgardner.

Waiting for your progress of this most interesting subject!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Yes, that semi-transparent film is used to represent the over-painted effect, and especially this looks good. I'm talking about the tiny white stripe around the blue color, which is clearly visible afterwards.

• Profile Photo

Hi Dmitry @starfar!

This looks like off registration.

Practically, if you wish to keep that over painted effect, you could apply a new decal (from spares) wit JUST A TINY wider diameter. This should cover the white off-registration.

Also, due to quality inconsistencies, don't be surprised if you obtain a replacement exact decal sheet with NO registration problems. Maybe an email to Eduard, explaining the issue, would help?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That was a new way to show overpainted marks. I think the risk of the decal misbehaving is very big. As for the nice tutorials from fellow iModelers, perhaps a topic in the modeling techniques would be an idea? That way it would be available as a seperate topic and easier to find for future reference. Now back to your project Dimitry @starfar, in spite of the off-set decals, it will be great to see it in all its glory when you get all the stencilling and all done.

• Profile Photo

I would not write to Eduard in this case, because even if they'll send me a replacement, such decals are mainly unusable because of other problems I've described previously, and I personally don't want to use them. I would go with masks and replacement for the stencils next time. This build is mainly a test run - to find all problematic things and try to avoid them with the next three ones. Now I know that decals should be replaced, positive rivets should be replaced (they are too big, not in scale completely) maybe with HGW products, camouflage should be painted with the method described by Louis, to achieve a slightly soft edge between the colors, gun barrels should be placed after the wings assembly, and so on.

• Profile Photo

Erik, next time I will do the same over painted roundels I'll try to describe the process, sure.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I had a similar experience with the aftermarket decals I used on the Airfix Hurricane I built that was part of the 100 Years of the RAF group build. It was coded LR * R.

The RAF roundel markings were slightly off registration and you could see a small white "ghost ring" where the blue colors met together against the camouflaged background. I had thought about trying to do a touch up paint, but then realized two things would likely happen. First the colors wouldn't likely match, and secondly my skill set is not good enough to do this and make it look round with sharp lines between the colors.

It is especially frustrating to get to this point and have something like this happen. In the end, my friend Paul Barber @yellow10
    was kind enough to send me some replacement markings all the way from Australia ! He had the perfect match in his spares to save the day. Here's a link showing how I removed the decals using tape to pull them off should you be interested.

https://imodeler.com/groups/100-years-of-the-royal-air-force/forum/topic/a-pair-of-1-48-early-hurricanes-airfix-mk-1-and-a-classic-airframes-cloth-wing-version/?topic_page=5&num=15

Once the new decals were installed, I was very happy with how it looked.

I have been wanting a good reason to build up the two new tool Tamiya 1/48 scale Spitfires, and finish what I have started with the remaining ones in the stash. Thank you for the inspiration !

Your Spitfire is looking fantastic.

• Profile Photo

I had exactly the same issue with the Iliad Design decals for the early Hurricanes. Fortunately they give roundels for several models, so I've cut small pieces from the additional roundels to hide these white rings.

A small update – decals are done and a gloss coat was applied once again. Yes, it's possible to use new Eduard decals, but this is something I don't want to do.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow ! Your Spitfire is looking better and better each time I see it... Are you going to be building the other 3 kits here on this build journal ?

• Profile Photo

Looks great Dmitry @starfar, the b/w underside even moer so!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, mates!

I'm not sure about all of the three ones, Louis. I want to do another one very early version – two-blade prop, flat canopy. But when it goes about the "standard" Mk.I – no decision yet. I will search for interesting marking options first.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The paint and decals have come together perfectly. Sorry the kit decals were a problem. I build a lot of old Revell and Monogram, so I always plan on replacing the decals rather than deal with ancient decals that may, or may not, work.

• Profile Photo

The same thing with Academy kits, when they don't include Cartograf decals, George. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very dedicated work with using extra decals to mend the bad ones - tip noted!

• Profile Photo