Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX 1/48 from ICgawa

Started by Bernd Müller · 49 · 9 years ago · 1/48, Aviation, ICgawa, Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hi, while having the new Mk.Vb in my hands, i started yesterday a project, an idea, that is in my head for a long time. Years ago i purchased a Hasegawa Spitfire Mk. VIII in 1/48 scale.

It look very tasty on its sprues, but after a short research on the net, it disappeared silently in my stash, shortly after that, i went again to my hobby shop and find the new ICM kit, knowing their nice MiG-3, nothing can t go wrong. At home i opened the box and find the most perfect moulded sinkholes i have ever seen, on nearly every part. To put it short, it take the same way, as well the new Italeri Spit IX, only the box was new, but with a very nice decal sheet.

Today it is no problem to get a nearly perfect Spit IX from Eduard. Some days ago i put these kits out and had a loong look at them, the Tamiya tape was by the hand and i made test fits with various parts of these kits, the Hasegawa had the best details and fit was perfect. The first idea was to take the basic ICM, with Hasegawa as detail set. After all i use the Hasegawa as main kit, with a reworked fuselage, the engine/prob from ICM and the decals and the lower fuselage intake from Italeri.

On most reports it was quoted, the aft fuselage is 2,5mm too short and 1,5mm at the front, i made some cuts, just before the tail and at the cowling. In the end i archieved 1mm at the front, the ICM cowling fits, the rest will be invisible, while the engine will be presented open and 2mm at the back, taking the new Airfix Vb as a guide.

I do not have scale plans, but good reference sides on the Net: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-mk-ix-xi-and-xvi-variants-much-varied.html

My goal is not to made the most accurate IX, but a nice kit to look at and can be displayed with other Spits without looking somewhat odd.

It will have no teardrop bulges on the upper wing for the undercarriage, there is no bulge in the wheel wells, the bigger air intake under the snout, horn balanced elevators. Five spoke wheels come from a Tamiya kit. One question is still unclear about the canon bulges on the upper wing. I hope i can save the Hasegawa probeller blades.

The engine need a lot of scratch build parts, something new to me, we will see how far i get

Tipps,constructive critique is always welcome

• Profile Photo

Some pictures i forgot...
    The ICM firewall give me the needed length to look nearly good and made the ICM cowling fit.
    It will take a lot of work to made a good looking and unique Spitfire Mk.IX.
    Getting a bit deeper to this type, all the designations, changes in the production run are complicated as the 109.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Bernd,

It's a bold treatment to the Hasegawa kit, but from what I can see the tail extension shouldn't be dificult to fill & smooth out. I'd suggest a plasticard insert for strength...

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin, yes it is somewhat "daring" but its fun to be creative, I tried to take the entire tailplane from ICM, but in the end it was the Hasegawa tail with nice "preformed" plastic from ICM. The result can be seen in the photos, i have taken this morning.
    Yesterday i made progress with the Hasegawa cockpit, it was simply glued together and painted, the instrument panel was drybrushed with white, the seatbelts are painted tape.
    So much for my progress. More soon ! 🙂

Happy modelling

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looks like an ambitious project to a non aircraft modeller like me, Bernd, but I'm sure you will end up with a model that looks the part, and you will enjoy the build process, which is the main thing. You will also use some kits that would otherwise have remained untouched.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Interesting 'Frankenstein' project, with all the various bits coming together this way. Now of course you need to think of another project to use all the remaining pieces of these other kits...

• Profile Photo

Hi George, thank you for commenting. Yes it will be fun and it is not the worst idea to make something with not too good kits.
    Yesterday i completed the basic airframe, photos later.

• Profile Photo

Hi Rob, yes with the help of the ICM wing and some cockpit stuff, there can be a second Mark IX created, using the basic Italeri / Occidental Spit IX
    ICdental sounds like tooth pain 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Very nice work there Bernd. Is the engine scratch built?

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gregor, no it is part of the ICM kit. Very nice for an plastic moulded engine, i will ad some details to it.The engine was the only part without sinkholes, a few but not a problem.
    ICM put some nice engines to their 109s, MiG-3 and the Spitfires

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I just finished putting this engine together after taking it apart a couple of times because I glued things out of sequence & couldn't get the next piece on. I'm leaving the reduction gear off till it goes in the airframe to make sure it lines up. After all this I'll probably end up not installing the engine. ICM sure likes to use a lot of parts. I think I counted 23 or 24 for the engine.

Do your wings have a sink line to the front of the flaps that looks like it belongs there?

I stumbled onto some small earth magnets in a game shop. They might still be too big to use for the removable engine panels but it's a possibility.

Looking forward to seeing the end result of your build. What you have done so far shows a lot of talent.

• Profile Photo

Hi Al, you are right, the engine is nice detailed BUT fiddly, removing and cleaning takes a lot of time and was the most problematic part so far.

The idea to use magnetics like the Tamiya Spit is almost impossible, the upper part of the cowling will not fit with installed cylinder banks.

While this started totally spontaneous, i made only dry fits with the engine bearer parts, the decision, how much engine will be visible will come later.

I did not find any sinkholes on the Hasegawa wing (but on ICM) The way to the Headlines is still long, so i hope you will meet me on this way again. I found a Spitfire on a decal sheet from Eagle Cal with the code FU-N !

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Here are some new pics from my Spitty, not much progress, but worth some pics.
    The seam on the aft fuselage was sanded and some panel lines were restored.
    Wings and fuselage were mated together. The ICM cowling was fitted and with some
    plastic card and some sanding with the fuselage. As well the air intake under the belly.
    The "kink" between the cowling and the fuel tank still must be restored.
    The wings has lost the bulges over the wheel bays.
    Thats the current status, my main projects on the bench are some naval subjects and hopefully hit the Headlines at some time, as well this one.

Cheers
    Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Nice progress Bernd, its looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Gregor, i hope i can detail the engine much more, this will be an exercise in scratch building. One potion is to display the full engine, the other is to glue the upper cowling part on.
    That gives a more "steamlined look". The cylinder banks have to stay for this option in the spares box. Its so sad that the Hasegawa kit is flawed, it s pure joy to put it together.