Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX 1/48 from ICgawa

Started by Bernd Müller · 49 · 9 years ago · 1/48, Aviation, ICgawa, Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Bernd:
    Whose kit is the Italeri, ICM or the one from the Portugese outfit that did the AT-6s? Lot of "musical molds" these days.
    Did you use the latest Airfix Spit V? I hear good things, but hereabouts they flew off the shelves. I'm waiting for a restock.
    A man can't have too many Spits, or Zeroes, or P-40s, Aaaauugh! Obsession? Nah! Not me.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Bernard, thank you for joining in. O.K the "thing" on my bench is a mixture from the Hasegawa Mk.IX kit and the cowling and some shaped plastic material, from a ICM Spit IX, on the aft fuselage to made this Spit a tad longer.
    You can see on one of the pictures, the fuselage sides of the new Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb. I use this, to line up the parts. This kit will be later build here online on iModeller, yes you can t have too many of these classical fighters.
    If you actually buy a Italeri Spitfire Mk.IX or the Mk. XVI in 1/48, you have the mouldings from Occidental ( that Portugese brand) in your hands.
    Puzzled ? Me too 🙂
    Cheers
    Bernd

BTW: If you won t wait until the restock of Airfix Spitties, i could handle this:
    http://www.berndmm.de/en/airfix-spitfire-mkvb-in-148.html

• Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Bernd, I've just picked up your thread about the ICM/Hasegawa FrankenSpit. Brave man to attempt this level of surgery & good luck! Am looking forward to seeing the build progress, it's looking pretty good by the way and well done! I have one of the Mk.VII's sitting in the stash, which you can build pretty much any mark from VII to IX since all the spare bits are there...but I won't be building mine any time soon.

• Profile Photo
    Paul van Acker said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Nice one mate. I'm Having a major Spitfire run right now. Can't get enough of them. 🙂 Love your work.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the feedback friends, despite the not too accurate outlines the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.VII to IX are great kits a joy to build and there is no really need for aftermarket stuff.
    The ICM Spits were ,as they came out new a huge dissapointment, accurate shaped junk, so i mixed them up, you can t have too many Spitfires.
    Can t wait to see your Spitffire run, Paul and i hope here is some inspiration for Mareks
    Spit, "downstairs" in the stash 🙂
    Best wishes and einen Guten Rutsch for 2015, we will see us 🙂

Bernd

• Profile Photo

Got some progress on this one today, thanks for the motivation boost 🙂
    Got the ICM firewall mated with the Hasegawa fuselage, two moulds of the same type doesn t mean the same shape, restored the "kink" with some plastic card.
    The Hispanos are now in place and the clear parts got a dipp in future, the windshield is masked with a masking set from Eduard, didn t fit too good, maybe it was me.
    The engine isn t glued and need a lot of detail work.
    So much for this

Bernd

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernd, food for thought, I would have never thought to graft bits of the ICM kit onto the Hasegawa Spit. (and there are lots of easier Spit builds out there)...having said that I dragged my couple out of the stash (again) for a second look, (see photo below). If I were feeling masochistic enough I'd probably go for the Mk.XVI, there's a bit of aftermarket tucked into the box and markings for 302 squadron Polish Air Force. (maybe 2016?). And goodness knows what I'll do the Mk.VIII, since I was going to do a Russian Mk.IX, but the new Eduard weekend kit was just too tempting a purchase to resist.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Bernd, don`t let the little things p*** you off.
    Some kits you can be lucky and find that nothing fits (without major surgery) (the Airfix Yak 9 D for a start).
    With your skill, these small problems soon disappear.
    Look forward to seeing more.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your nice comments, that keeps me on track, so while i am lacking the usual new years day hangover, i will hit my bench.

Marek, get the XVI out of the pile, ICM has improved their production quality and it should be a worthy kit to do, i guess Eduard will do more Spitfire marks.

The cockpit from ICM is not state of the art but it can be enhanced with a Eduard Zoom Set

Nr. FE331 for example, the set is for the Italeri/Occidental kit but i believe it can be used with ICM as well.

You should have other decals for ICM kits !

The Eduard kits are very nice and will hit my stash soon

• Profile Photo

Hi Simon, thak you for trusting in my skills, i hope i can deliver a pleasing result.
    Never seen the Airfix Jak-9
    There a lot of kits out, with tricky fit and nasty surprises out of the box, i believe most of my problems coming from me. One of the "nicest" kits on my bench was the Roden Gotha G.IV
    in 1/72 it went from the bench not on the shelf but in the "spare box", i don t think this kit was designed for "building" modellers but more for collectors 🙁

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernd, thanks for the encouragement but I doubt if I'll get round round to picking up the Mk. XVI this year, as there's another Spitty in the Work-In Progress pile: The Eduard re-boxing of Airfix's Mk 22/24. (I ought to get round to posting some pix of that on this part of the forum). There's also Tamiya's 1/48 Mk VB which has had a bit of primer on the sprues for a while as well...I have to finish some projects before I start anymore. (Modeller's Attention Deficit Disorder, methinks).

• Profile Photo

Hi Marek, sounds familar to me, got a stash of halfbuild kits, i hope i can melt this a bit this year. Airfix/Eduard s Spit is a nice kit, i like the later marks because of the powerful look.
    Looking forward to see some pics of yours.
    My collection is lacking so much RAF types, i am not a masking junkie and the curved hard edged camo still give me fits.
    (maybe its not too late for your XVI this year)

Cheers
    Bernd

• Profile Photo

Did some modelling yesterday and today as well. Yesterdays work was mainly the prop.

Hasegawas spinner has not much in common with a mid war Spit, the ICM prop looks better but the blades in my ICM kit were full of sinkholes, as well the spinner (what else)

So i sanded the ICM spinner to a more smooth surface with some putty, the Hasegawa blades were made a tad thinner at the base to accept the ICM spinner holes.
    There is a lot of aftermarket stuff for the Spitfire out, but i keep my idea to use only material at hand.
    Currently i am plumbing the firewall and detail the ICM Merlin.
    The engine compartment of the IX is full of stuff, hard to keep the overview.

• Profile Photo

Yesterdays work was not only the Propeller, some days ago, i was upstairs on the attic

and visited my doom box and found a long die hard contender in (amongst others)

It is a Hasegawa Spitfire Mk. VIII 1/48, started as a full out of the box build and stalled after i noticed the flaws via the www. The paint work was done highly demotivated, shortly after this the Spit landed in this big box.

Got it in my hand, i thought to myself, thats a good one for a test with oven cleaner to strip the paint off. After some days with the cleaner on, i was able to remove the paint easily.

The photos show the first step, currently its bare of color and the panel lines are restored.

With a prop from an older Otaki Spit and interesting markings, why not finishing it, you can t have too much Spitfires

• Profile Photo

So, this topic was started as a single fun build using mediocre kits to get one better Spitfire
    now i have two Spitfires in the work.
    The recovered Mk.VIII will be finished with all its inaccurate "glory" but i need something new in my WWII fighter line up and it feels good to get one more out of this box.
    It was primed black today and after this a first layer of Medium Sea Gray were sprayed cloudy all over it, all panel lines are stripped from paint.
    Found imperfections on the air intake, this should be an easy fix.
    This will be a Gray Nurse Spit, decals will come from an Aeromaster sheet, covering RAAF spitfires in the Pacific theatre of war
    Sorry for the bad pictures, todays daylight leaves a lot to be desired

Bernd