Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX 1/48 from ICgawa

Started by Bernd Müller · 49 · 9 years ago · 1/48, Aviation, ICgawa, Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great Bernd! The Grey Nurse Spits look amazing with the sharks mouth.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Gregor, this is my first choice for a Mk. VIII, i hope i get the shark mouth decal around the nose.
    Maybe i dig out my old Otaky Spit and steal the propeller from it, after some sanding to get the Hasegawa prop shade look more right, its the best idea.
    By the way another photo from the IX with the start of "plumbing"
    This must be much improved !

• Profile Photo

Looks good to me! I wouldn't know where to start plumbing an engine.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gregor, i just started this, searched the web for pictures and will do more detailing.
    Never did something like this before, so i don t know how the result will look, quite exciting.

• Profile Photo

Some news from the Spit(s)
    I found a short footage of No.457 SQN Spits in a starting sequence, running just 14 seconds but my plane was in, showing it relative good maintained and i saw the upperwing roundel just a millisecond. It seems its a smaller version, so i sprayed today on the portion of the wing the camo on, made masks and sprayed a lighter camo all over to get a subtle overpaintied effect.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looks subtle Bernd, cannot wait until its finished mate.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Simon. Got the Dark Green on, pics will follow. RAF Dark Green is not an easy color for me, i am colorblind and this paint give me fits, i have used the Revell shade but with some drops of white in. Hopefully lt looks like DG (for the rest of the world 😉 )

• Profile Photo

Masking job

• Profile Photo

More modelling and masking today, i am waiting for my orders to re stock something to sell
    everything is ready, a good time for modelling, The Spitfire Mk.VIII is a good object to practise hard edged camos, using Blue Tack.

• Profile Photo

Ocean Grey on, my camo scheme is not accurate in some parts, but more interesting is the result of this masking job

• Profile Photo

Good work Bernd. I look forward to seeing the masks come off.

• Profile Photo

Yes thats the moment of truth, i hope its not too bad

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looked like it had a bad case of worms there Bernd LOL.
    Lets hope that it worked out OK.

• Profile Photo

I hope i will find under all this stuff the Spit 🙂

• Profile Photo

The Blue Tack method was no real success, after the masking was stripped from the kit, i had to do a lot of touch ups to get the scheme half way good on, still something to do.
    The touch ups and the masking to do so, lasted longer than to make a template on paper and use cut out masks.