Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang ”Shangri-La”

Started by David D. · 25 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That was fast - sorry for not leaving a comment sooner. But, as they all agree, it is looking very nice. I just added the kit to my stash too.

• Profile Photo
    David D. said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Christopher,
    I used Vallejo Model Color 70.873. The color is very much in line with photos of Don Gentile's P-51 a greenish grey OD. I also added some Model Air USAF Olive Drab to my mix.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and John. We are getting close.

• Profile Photo
    David D. said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Update. I applied the flat coat with Mr. Color GX Super Clear Flat as well as highlighting the panel lines and getting the landing gear on. The red gun coverings were done with lead foil cut to shape, primed, painted in red and secured in place with white glue. What I like about this effect is because its so soft I can push it into the gun openings to achieve a similar effect as on the Gentile a/c you see in many photos.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nicely done, David.
    A very nice approach.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice model so far David! That trick with the lead foil is a good idea. I’m using that to do rudder pedal straps also with good effect. May I ask how you managed to airbrush Vallejo paint (not the Model Air range it seems)?

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. Happy to share my project here.

• Profile Photo

Pedro,

So the paint is the standard Vallejo model color. I used AK acrylic thinner to thin it for spraying. I did NOT use Tamiya X-20 because I believe it is more for their acrylic-lacquer paints. Any strictly acrylic thinner I believe would work. For my first spray attempt I added a couple of drops of water to my mix and I didn't like the results. It sprayed okay but when dry I found the surface of the model a little rough almost gritty. So, I just used only acrylic thinner and it worked great. Don't use ISO alcohol either but a thinner from AK, Vallejo, Ammo, Hataka etc that are for acrylic paints only. NOTE. These paints are very prone to markings from finger grease etc so I would strongly recommend you wear rubber gloves when handling the model after painting. If you don't have this particular paint and you want to replicate the US Grey/green Olive drab for USAAF aircraft I believe AK Real Colors has a very good match and would probably be less finicky than the Vallejo paint since its an acrylic lacquer. I didn't have that paint when I did this model.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Your "Shangri-La" is coming along very nicely, David @totalize!
    I, too, liked the foil trick.
    Looking forward to your progress!